'98 Olds 3800, tries to die at idle, no MIL

Page 2 of 2
blowout preventer wrote:

I would change the MAF!
Why? Because if you unplug it and NOTHING changes then it isn't working.
--
Steve W.

On 9/30/2011 9:06 PM, Steve W. wrote:

Yep, there is the correct diagnosis, and three cheers for the dealer who suggested more diagnostics were in order before replacing parts that may not fix the problem.
--
I'm never going to grow up.

blowout preventer wrote:

I second Steve's opinion. Change the maf. If maf is plugged or unplugged and it does the same thing, then that means its not working at all. Especially after two scanners say the same thing.

I'd expect that if it was not working.
If your TV, toaster, or washing machine don't work, do they act differently if you unplug them? If not, you'd have to assume what?
blowout preventer wrote:

You don't have to buy one. Most parts stores have them as "rental" tools. You basically "buy" the tool and when you bring it back and they give you back the money. Just open the tool up in the store and make sure it's all there and working before you leave. Some folks like to break the tools and then return them.
--
Steve W.

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 10:04:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@msn.com (blowout preventer) wrote:

If it's not the fuel pump, it could be a heat sensor malfunction. My old 92 Safari, had that issue. (RIP) I got a few months out of it, after replacing it.