'98 Olds Intrigue high beams

'98 Olds Intrigue has no high beams. All other lights work as they should with switch in high beam position. Low beams work as do all other lights, including DRL's. Bulbs are good, found voltage to both terminals in bulb sockets. Is it pretty likely that this is merely a faulty switch on the column, or could there be another issue? I have read these cars have their share of electrical glitches.

Reply to
James Goforth

Does the high beam indicator come on when you switch to high beam? If it does it isn't the switch. It gets switched through the same circuit.

Check for a ground in the pink and pink/black wires when you have high beam on. Also check for a ground at the pink wire going into the under hood power center. If you have a ground there but not at the pink and pink/black wires the connections in the fuse box are failing.

Reply to
Steve W.

Under load, is the voltage = battery voltage, or is that open circuit voltage (no load).

Could be a connector inline somewhere too. Are low beams working at full brightness? If so grounds are probably OK.

Reply to
PeterD

'98 Olds Intrigue has no high beams. All other lights work as they should with switch in high beam position. Low beams work as do all other lights, including DRL's. Bulbs are good, found voltage to both terminals in bulb sockets. Is it pretty likely that this is merely a faulty switch on the column,

or could there be another issue? I have read these cars have their share of electrical glitches.

********************************************* Steve wrote: "Does the high beam indicator come on when you switch to high beam? If it does it isn't the switch. It gets switched through the same circuit. Check for a ground in the pink and pink/black wires when you have high beam on. Also check for a ground at the pink wire going into the under hood power center. If you have a ground there but not at the pink and pink/black wires the connections in the fuse box are failing."
Reply to
James Goforth

High beam indicator light does not come on either. Local GM dealer says the multi-function switch is about $240 with tax. Since this is more of a work car (a beater with cosmetic damage), I didn't care for the idea of spending that much money on it, plus the hassle of changing it out, airbag, etc. I considered the idea of just getting an older - style, floor mounted dimmer switch from a NAPA store, mounting it on the floor like older cars all have, and just hitting it to ground the high beam circuit to activate the high beams. According to the wiring diagram I found online, it looks like you could get away with just doing that -- I would just have to be sure when I activated the floor switch that I moved the stalk switch in the high beam position (so both highs and lows weren't on at the same time). I hadn't originally planed to hook up the low beams to the floor switch as well, because I couldn't tell from the schematic whether that might have some ramifications concerning some other module, (DRL'S, dash lights, etc). --- whereas it appears the high beams simply need a ground to operate. Trying to do a cheap and easy fix for the old bomber. Anyone know of a reason this isn't advisable? TIA.

Your probably looking at a bad switch. I would hit a salvage yard (try

and get a complete column 150-200 bucksnormally. Since you have to just about pull the column anyway to changeout the switch just swap the column. Easier and quicker. If you want just the switch you can get a new one for about $150.00

Reply to
Steve W.