98 Regal (3800) stalls immediately after start - Why?

I just saw shiden_kai ask that a poster let us know how something works out, and it reminded of something from last year. I answered a post about the subject, but I was late in following up so
the OP took it to e-mail. End result was useful info never got out here to the newsgroup. I think I asked him to keep it in the group, but somehow that didn't happen, so it was my bad too. I still have one of the e-mails, which covers the bases, so I'm copying it here for the possible benefit of future googlers with the same problem. It's backwards in chronology. I removed the e-mailer's name/adder, since it *was* e-mail.
--Vic
Thanks so much. This is exactly what the problem was. I am still trying to get the resistor - apparently a dealer only part - at least my favorite auto parts franchises aren't carrying it. In the mean time, I jumpered across the resistor which allows me to operate the car.
name