98 Regal (3800) stalls immediately after start - Why?

I just saw shiden_kai ask that a poster let us know how something works out, and it reminded of something from last year. I answered a post about the subject, but I was late in following up so the OP took it to e-mail. End result was useful info never got out here to the newsgroup. I think I asked him to keep it in the group, but somehow that didn't happen, so it was my bad too. I still have one of the e-mails, which covers the bases, so I'm copying it here for the possible benefit of future googlers with the same problem. It's backwards in chronology. I removed the e-mailer's name/adder, since it *was* e-mail.

--Vic

Thanks so much. This is exactly what the problem was. I am still trying to get the resistor - apparently a dealer only part - at least my favorite auto parts franchises aren't carrying it. In the mean time, I jumpered across the resistor which allows me to operate the car.

name

----- Original Message ----- From: "Victor Smith" Newsgroups: alt.autos.gm To: name Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 5:22 PM Subject: Re: 98 Regal (3800) stalls immediately after start - Why?

name, > > Sorry for not following through, but I was off sick on Monday. I talked > to the Pontiac owner on Tuesday, but he said it was just as I had > remembered, a resistor controlling the fuel pump. On his receipt (I > didn't see it, but I trust him.) it just said 'resistor'. They told him > it controls the fuel pump. The part was 40 or 50 bucks. > > --Vic > > > > > > > >> > > >>I have a 98 Regal GS (supercharged 3800 V6) with 38,000 miles on it. > >>The other day while going down the road it just quit running. It > >>would start up for about 1-2 seconds (smoothly) and then die as if it > >>suddenly ran out of gas or the ignition system shut off. Occassionly > >>(although rarely), it won't die and is completely drivable until it > >>suddenly chooses to die again, maybe 20 miles later or a day later or > >>several starts later. When it is in its "dying mode" it dies both > >>when in gear or not in gear. It dies both when cold or warmed up. > >> > >>If, immediately after starting the engine (in park), I can get it up > >>to 4000 rpm before it dies, the engine will continue running (probably > >>out of closed loop mode and into enrichment mode). It surges but it > >>keeps running. > >> > >>The "service engine" light never comes on. I have not run an OBDII > >>test yet to see if any codes have been set but, without the light > >>coming on, I am not sure any codes are being set. > >> > >>Any ideas?? > >> > >Just last week a guy I work with had a similar problem. His '98 Pontiac > >stalled, and would start every time, rev to 1000rpm, then die. > >The neighborhood garage couldn't figure it out, so they towed it to a > >dealer, who fixed it quick. I had guessed TPS or crank sensor. > >The dealer said it was a burned out resistor in..........can't remember, > >except it controlled the fuel pump. I'll ask him tomorrow, and post. > >Two tows, first garage and dealer cost him 250 bucks total. > > > >--Vic > > > > >
Reply to
Victor Smith