98 Sonoma Temp Gauge

I have a 98 Sonoma 4.3L, and the temp gauge is not working. Has anyone ever had this problem before? The temp sensor has recently been replaced so I think it may be the gauge itself. I was told the only
way to fix this was to send the entire instrument cluster to the dealership and have them fix it. Does anyone have any suggestions?