98 Venture stumbles at hiway speed

I have a 98 venture. For some time now it will stumble or chug when I am going at hiway speed - it usually happens when I start to climb a hill but it hasen't shifted down yet. Once it downshifts it smoothes out and accelerates fine. It feels like it isn't getting enough gas.

I have had the intake manifold done, the ignition wires changed and the injectors flushed with little improvement. I have seen similar problems identified but have never seen a solution.

Reply to
rangie

Has the fuel filter ever been changed?

John

Reply to
John Horner

Reply to
David J and Lynne J Shepherd

Have you checked the computer for codes?

Reply to
Woody

Computer is fine. When I took it to the dealer they couldn't get it to stumble (?). They reset the computer anyway but this didn't help. Fuel filter was changed - a little better for a while (few weeks) then back to the same.

Problem happens after about 1/2 hour of driving at hiway speed. It is much more prounced when towing a trailer.

Reply to
rangie

Hi Guys, I don't have an answer, but I have a 97 Venture with the same exact symptoms. Here is what I have replaced so far:

Engine at 89K miles, Cleaned fuel injectors, Fuel filter, Plugs, Wires, Coil for cylinders 1 & 2, MAP module for coil, Transmission checked 3 different times.

Still bucking up hills. Occasionally I get a code for misfire on cylinder 1, but this is never reproducable when in the shop.

Mine also is only apparent after about 1/2 hour of run time, so it is very difficult to find.

I just picked it up from the shop again today, and I will be driving it from Massachusetts to Delaware.

I'll let you know what I find next.

Good luck with your van, Needless to say I really HATE mine!!

Reply to
Kevin