99 Cavalier acting up!!! Transmission?

I got a '99 cavalier with a 2.2 4 cyl. ( 47k miles) Last night I went out with it and after driving about 90 minutes it started making a grinding noise and then the RPM's shot up and the car stopped accelerating. I was
able to get it to keep going by shifting from drive to 3rd. I took it to a shop and they said "code 1810" showed up. It said it had low fluid but the mechanic checked and it's fine. Since then the engine light stays on, but it work in Drive for short trips. It hasn't acted up but the light is on. I'm afraid to drive real far with it in case it goes again. Anyone know what's up ??
SIDE NOTE-- How come they don't have a transmission fulid dipstick in this car? The owner's manual is useless.
Internal transmission problem is indicated by that code. There's no dipstick because, GM decided that you should fix leaks not just add fluid.
GW
JS wrote:

I think he has a few factory service manuals. I looked at:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=P1810+GM&btnG=Google+Search
-- GW - Conservational Ergonomist - note incorrect email address "It's good to yell at people and tell them you're from Tennessee. That way you'll be safe." - Gary Busey
JS wrote:

Got the news today. Code 1810 was for a internal position sensor. Cost is going to be about $900. $100 for the part and $800 for labor and taxes. Woe is me.... Definitely time to trade in