99 Cavalier indoor fan down to 1 speed...

With summer here, my car's fan is down to one speed, high and noisy, I have to turn up the radio to hear it.
I opened the dash (as best as possible), checked the 4 position selector switch,
completely. Clean, lubed and in working order. Then I pulled the heater/AC blower motor out, removed some dry leaves and found at that 2-wire harness, with the car engine running, I was getting:
1.8 volts on low, 2.5 volts on the next speed, 11 volts on the next, and 14 volts at high. The blower motor looked good.
Now there's got to be a hidden resistor card somewhere and I suspect that it's the culprit.
Any ideas on where to look, or do I just keep excavating?
Before the fan speeds stopped working, I found that they were not set well for user comfort. I really want one in the middle, a bit of air but not so much noise. Maybe I can splice in different resistor, if that's what it takes.
Any suggestions on the repair?
TIA,
Dave, "AC questions gladly replied to."
It's right next to the blower motor you took out. The plug for it is one half of the "Y" of that wiring harness. The other half of the "Y" goes to the blower motor. You my have disconnected it to get the blower motor out easier.

have to

switch,
harness, with

14
it's
for
much

have to

switch,
harness, with

14
it's
for
much
What your hearing is the Blower Motor going bad. The bushings inside are fried, and they are not user serviceable parts. Charles
If you disconnect the resistor and put the fan switch in no.2 position (leave controller on vent or defrost) then cross terminals "A" & "C" on disconnected resistor plug and the fan comes on, your resistor is bad.

have to

switch,
harness, with

14
it's
for
much
Just had the exact same problem with my '97 Cavalier. Blower resistor was the culprit. It is right behind the blower motor, right up against the firewall. Takes a bit of patience to get a driver on the nuts, but it is a quick fix none the less.
Jason

have to

switch,
harness, with

14
it's
for
much
Jason,
What amazes me is that the only way to get at that resistor and motor is with a 7/32" socket, or 5.5 mm if you're so inclined. Where do they get this screws? Bargin bins by the truckload?
Dave

I have a flexible extension in one of my socket sets and found that it came in very handy for this job.

selector
heater/AC
and
that