99 Chev Cavailier

Just looking for some input...
When getting to 80-100km/hr, I am getting a loud humming noise from front drives side wheel. First thought is wheel bearing. But when I turn steering
wheel slightly to the right, then the noise practically disappears, only to return whenthe wheel is straighted again.
Could this still be the wheel bearing or is it possibly something else?
On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 06:14:54 -0400, Jon cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

Wheel bearing. It is normal for a wheel bearing to make more or less noise depending on the direction the wheel is turned. As the wheel is turned it experiences more or less loading on the bearing, depending on which way it is turned.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 08:55:37 -0400, Jon cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

Not all that difficult. Tools are the bigger issue for those who don't do this sort of thing. With the right tools at hand, the job can take around an hour or so (or longer if it's stubborn...) if you've done it before. Often times the hub rusts in and the only way to get it out is with heat (torches).
You have to start somewhere, and at some point, all of us did a wheel bearing for the first time. Usually without all of the tools that we have at hand now. So yes - you certainly can do it yourself, but you'll end up purchasing some new stuff for your tool box (deep socket 36mm socket for example), and you'll probably grunt more than if you had all of the cool stuff.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Daughters ZX2, which I was SURE had a bad bearing, went away when we put new tires on it.
Those wheel bearings in front drive cars are no easy replacement.
You take the wheel and steering knuckle off, which requires a huge wrench for the wheel nut, then press the bearing out and a new one in. Then put it back together and torque the big nut to 200 lb-ft or so.