99 Intrigue 3.5L engine "tapping" noise??

I have a 1999 Olds Intrigue and lately I have been hearing what sounds like wrist pin or piston slap noise. Are there any known issues with these engines that I should be aware of? I would appreciate any help.
Thanks.
"The Dog" wrote

There haven't been very many problems with that engine. But... we have replaced a few that decided to spit out the front bearing shell on the balance shaft. This leads to a loss of oil pressure to the cylinder heads and camshafts, and you get what sounds like a lot of valve "lifter" noise. Of coure, these engines dont really have "lifters", but it's the same basic concept.
Here is a picture of one that I recently had to replace. The balance shaft grinds it's way into the aluminum block, so you have no choice but to replace the entire engine.
http://www3.telus.net/public/ianrmac/Images/DSC01202.JPG
Note: This may not be the problem. I haven't run into many other problems on these engines noise wise. We have had some issues with oil burning, and oil leaks...but that's about it.
Ian