99 Olds Intrigue 3.5L fuel gauge

Hello group, I regularly read this group and found the advice very good. My Intrigue had the front end clunking noise nicely described in this group. I followed the recommended lubing of the ISS shaft and the problem was solved. By the way, as was suggested by one post, I was easily able to disconnect the ISS under the dash and lube it from there. I used a regular grease gun and filled the shaft. You can easily use your thumb to cover the opening and then collapse the shaft to force the grease down the splines. I did this three times. The only awkward part was trying to keep the vinyl steering column cover out of the way. It took me only 1 hour. If I had to do it again, probably only 1/2 hour.

To my current problem. Recently the fuel gauge began hanging at the full mark even though the tank was getting low. When first starting up, the gauge reads full. It moves around a little as you drive. Sometimes it will read the proper level. If the car is warm, stopped for a few minutes, and engine running, the gauge appears to read normal. Any issues anyone is aware of? If the wire from the tank unit is grounded, does the gauge read full or empty? Does the unit rely on a separate tank ground? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Gary

Reply to
The Dog

"The Dog" wrote

It appears that there is a bulletin that may address your issue. I'll quote it below:

Fuel Gage Inaccurate/Fluctuates, Premature Low Fuel Chime (Exchange Instrument Panel Cluster, Replace Fuel Level Sensor, Reprogram EEPROM) #99-06-03-007C - (04/05/2001) Fuel Gauge Inaccurate/Fluctuates, Premature Low Fuel Chime (Exchange Instrument Panel Cluster, Replace Fuel Level Sensor, Reprogram EEPROM)

1997-99 Buick Century, Regal

1997-99 Chevrolet Lumina, Monte Carlo

1998-99 Oldsmobile Intrigue

1997-99 Pontiac Grand Prix

This bulletin is being revised due to part number changes and deletion of the parts table. Refer to the parts information catalog for the correct part number. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-06-03-007B (Section 6 -- Engine).

Condition Some customers may comment on the following conditions:

a.. The fuel gauge reads incorrectly. b.. The low fuel chime sounds prematurely. For example, the chime may sound when 19-22 L (5-6 gallons) of fuel remains in the tank. c.. The fuel gauge may fluctuate from full to empty and then back to full after a fill up and a hot soak. Cause These conditions may be caused by several factors which are vehicle specific:

a.. Fuel contamination to the resistor board (sender card) of the fuel level sensor in the fuel tank. b.. Calibration changes within the EEPROM of the PCM. c.. Software revisions to the I/P cluster. Each of these factors affect the accuracy of the fuel gauge and/or the low fuel warning system.

Correction

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue vehicles built prior to May 7, 1998. Request an exchange I/P cluster from the A-C Delco® Service Center. This cluster must contain the software modifications in Delco Electronics Bulletin #98 IDPD07ISA.

Installing this new cluster will result in the elimination of the low fuel chime.

Important You must advise the customer about the elimination of the low fuel chime, as this is a change to the Owner's Manual information.

All 1997, 1998 and 1999 vehicles built prior to December 1, 1998. In order to improve the accuracy of the fuel gauge, replace the fuel level sensor in the fuel tank. Refer to the procedure in the Engine Controls sub-section of the Service Manual.

1998-99 Oldsmobile and Pontiac vehicles built prior to October 1, 1998. Reprogram the EEPROM using any Techline CD numbered higher than CD #21 for 1998 or the TIS 2000 #12 CD or higher.

It would be interesting to know the build date of your vehicle.

I think we can eliminate the need for the I/P cluster as your

vehicle is a1999 model. I'd go with the new fuel level

sensor, and the reflashing of the appropriate module.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

snip...

Ian,

The car was built in March/1999. I noticed today after leaving it

idling for a while, the gauge was hard on empty. Turning it off and

restarting it sent the reading to full. Do you still think it may be

the sending unit in the tank? Any further thoughts appreciated.

Gary

Reply to
dogdayyesterday

"dogdayyesterday" wrote

Considering the problems that we have with GM fuel level sensors and the bulletin pertaining to your vehicle, I'd say it's probably very likely.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai