99 Safari/Astro Rear Hatch fails to open

I have a 99 GMT Safari and the right side of the rear hatch fails to release when the release button is pressed. The left (driver) side releases and the right fails to release. It is an electronic release and
the actuator appears to be firing as I can hear the same noise from both sides. With the hatch remaining in the closed position there does not appear to be a way to get to the mechanisms inside to diagnose the problem.
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks Joe Connally
| I have a 99 GMT Safari and the right side of the rear hatch fails to | release when the release button is pressed. The left (driver) side | releases and the right fails to release. It is an electronic release and | the actuator appears to be firing as I can hear the same noise from both | sides. With the hatch remaining in the closed position there does not | appear to be a way to get to the mechanisms inside to diagnose the | problem. | | Anyone got any ideas? | | Thanks | Joe Connally | I think you can get to the actuators from the inside. But, when mine does that I have been able to get it to open by putting pressure on the hatch and activating it again. (It usually happens when the hatch wasn't closed all of the way)
Baldy
Joe Connally wrote:

actuator to each latch, and it fell off. The dealer was able to release the latch from the inside and working the linkage, which fell off the actuator.
Mike
Thanks for the info and that's exactly what happened. I finally figured out how to get to the mechanism while the door was closed, release and look at the linkage. I went to the local auto parts store and picked up a plastic connector for $1.95 and replace. After I closed everything up I realized I should have went ahead and replaced the other side while I had everything apart.....I guess I'll replace it when it fails. By the way, what did the dealer charge? There was some labor involved taking everything apart and I figured somewhere between $75 to $100.
Thanks Again. Joe Connally