99 Yukon engine misfire

1999 GMC Yukon 94000k 350

I am getting a misfire code on #5 cyl, The rep. said to rebuild or replace engine. Was a little reluctant on doing that so I ask for a compression test to

be done. They said that would be $120 so I said OK.. No. 5 was 140lbs

and adjoining cyls was 150. I asked what the dif was between the wet and dry and he didnt know what I was talking about. After several calls he got with the mech. and he said they done wet/dry on #5 with no

diff. also a leak down test showed it was bad rings. With these responses I dont know how good of a job was done on the tests. I replaced the plugs and the light goes off for a while and then on for a

while. My biggest question is how to rule out other possible problems before moving on to the bad rings. Such items as EGR valve, bad ignition, fuel, etc.

Reply to
chaz

Shep

Reply to