A bit of Faith Restored in GM

Page 2 of 3

Yeah, true. But at times, they are very amusing to play around with.
Hairy wrote:

Uh, maybe just that "he" was answering the original post that was cross posted to Austin.General, a bad place for thin skinned people to visit...
JT
wrote

Thin skinned, stupid and young.....Definition of "liberal".
--
-- His Excellency, Mapanari
Bishop of the Austin Chapter of the

If you are a "follower" when it comes to buying transportation, you fit into the sheeple class plain 'n simple.
Those that don't exhibit symptoms of the ability to think...
JT
Mike Hunter wrote:

You mean like the Toyota buyer who pay way too much for an underpowered vehicle because he hopes he may not get one of THEIR bad ones? LOL

wrote

Top Poster:
With every post you indicate your ongoing personal battle against the dreaded scourge of "Commonsenseitus".
You buy new cars? What fool buys brand new American cars? I bet you can regale us all with the benefits and good ideas of leasing them, and buying the extended warrenty, right?
--
-- His Excellency, Mapanari
Bishop of the Austin Chapter of the

imports (toyota or honda). however, the problem is that GM has 20-30 years of bad reputation to overcome - Honda/Toyota and Nissan/Mazda do not. If I were in the market for a mid sized car right now, the new Ford Fusion is interesting.... especially if they inbue it with some handling like they did the Focus. The Malibu? uh, no. MUCH better interiors, but overall not what I'd be looking for.
Altima or Mazda 6 - absolutely. With the Ford, I'd pause and think about durability, reliability and potential problems, ergonomics, interior materials quality. With the imports, I have few worries.
That being said, I LOVE what GM is doing now. They are making vast improvements in design, quality, interior materials, and overall presentation - enough they've crawled back on my list of 'considers'.
They continue to not be able to get it all right at the same time. The Malibu, again.... Ugly outside, with underwhelming engine and tranny choices. Nicely improved interior quality - but it's still a generation behind it's competitors.
Again, IMHO.
wrote

ball. They will never catch up and now the Communist Chinese are going to put the final nail in their coffin.
Once Adelphia goes bankrupt, GM is not far behind and the commies will be licking their chops to buy up GM, move most of the good jobs back to China, make better cars and cheaper cars, pay off a few politicians with "campaign donations" like they did with Al Gore, Clinton, Hillary, Pelosi and Boxer and sell us our own cars with no import duty or taxes and maybe even get a few billion in corporate welfare, and will now be made in China.
--
-- His Excellency, Mapanari
Bishop of the Austin Chapter of the

Unfortunately, after reading your other posts, I'm sorry to hear you agree with me about anything. J
wrote

--
-- His Excellency, Mapanari
Bishop of the Austin Chapter of the
wrote

Don't you drive an 83-81-84 civic?
<s>
--
-- His Excellency, Mapanari
Bishop of the Austin Chapter of the
You are far from correct in your perceptions. I'm 79, black male with an Engineering degree in metallurgy, with nearly 50 years experience in racing, manufacturing, retailing and serving autos, a millionaire several times over who could not care less what you chose to believe sonny. ;)
mike hunt

Ah but they are still running around today, and that is the point. Imagine how long, the far superior vehicles that they building today, will last. ;)
mike hunt

Does it have antique plates? LOL
mike hunt

No, I reserve my antique/classic plates for one of the following:
1931 Studebaker President State Coupe (Q4) 1955 Studebaker President State Coupe 1955 Studebaker President State Sedan 1956 Studebaker Power Hawk 1964 Studebaker Champ P/U T-6 Long Bed - 2nd Daily driver
JT
Mike Hunter wrote:

JT, pardon me for butting in on this conversation, but was the 1956 Power Hawk that sweet 2 door coupe that Studebaker offered with a small V8? I think it was around 260 cubes? I think that's the model I saw in a sales ad earlier this year and I've been thinking about it ever since.
StingRay wrote:

259 cid and yes, a pillared coupe. My car is black, 3 speed w/overdrive and I used to get about 26 mpg between DC and Providence back in the 1960's. I bought it in 1966 it is still in primo condition ready to go anywhere on a moment's notice.
Hawk models for 1956 included:
Golden Hawk - 351 cid Packard engine (President) hardtop Sky Hawk - 289 cid Studebaker engine (President) hardtop Power Hawk - 259 cid Studebaker engine (Commander) coupe Flight Hawk - Small six (Champion) coupe
JT

After I posted my question to you, I went searching for your Studebaker collection and I actually found another 1956 Power Hawk that just sold. Here's a link: http://www.collectorcarads.com/addetail.asp?CarID 395 They are sweet - ahead of their time really. I came across another site that you may already have seen, but I found it interesting and I'll attach a link:
http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Studebaker/TheEnd.html
StingRay wrote:

The hood is from either a '57 or '58 Golden Hawk. That being the case, I suspect that the car may have been modified otherwise and hence the low price. Condition #2 (Condition #1 is over-restored) Power Hawks should be in the high teens for value. It is a nice looking car but I wonder how much bondo might be lurking underneath...
They

Excellent site! One that I haven't seen before but know quite a few of the cars/owners shown.
I'm posting the link to the Studebaker newsgroup @ alt.autos.studebaker where binaries are welcome.
JT