a/c and radiator fan problems on 2001 cavalier

Ok my engine over heats because fan does not come on, and yes i have replaced the motor and there on no relays on this vehicle to the fan. My a/c only turns on when im driving on highway or constantly moving on the city streets, otherwise my a/c clicks on and off blowing warm air, Yes i have put freon in there. Ever since this has happened my engine check light is on. Any one give me some advice? Does it sound like all these problems are connected to one? Thanks TIm

Reply to
twitchentim

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Shep

Right now, it could be something simple as a blown fuse. But, like Shep said, come back with the DTC and it could be better diagnosed. Did you take the car to an A/C shop to have it checked out, or did you just put refrigerant in thinking that's what it needed?

And, as with every GM car I have ever seen, the cooling fan is run through a relay. It has to be, the load is too much for the PCM to handle by itself. It's in the underhood fuse block.

Get the DTC and come back, we can help serve you better. :)

Steve

Steve Mackie

Ok, one thing to check on this peticular car would be the cooling fan temperature sensor, if that sensor is bad, the fan will not kick on. Which that means you will not be drawing air back through the air conditioning condenser and radiator. This means your air conditioner will not work because of what is called a overheat switch, which cuts the compressor out if the freon does not fall to a certian temperature after going through the condenser, which is caused by the fan not kicking on, which would also be why the a/c only works when driving down the highway, because that is forcing air back through the condenser and radiator. You're overheating problem will also be caused by this because the cooling fan isn't kicking on to cool the antifreeze in the radiator. Which causes your engine to overheat unless you are driving down a city road or something with a decent straight way to it. And i'm willing to bet it still will overheat even then. Check this first, if no luck there, check the wiring, you know the obvious grounds and connections to the fan and sensor. Good luck

Reply to
automike

"automike" wrote: > Ok, one thing to check on this peticular car would be the > cooling fan > temperature sensor, if that sensor is bad, the fan will not > kick on. > Which that means you will not be drawing air back through the > air > conditioning condenser and radiator. This means your air > conditioner will > not work because of what is called a overheat switch, which > cuts the > compressor out if the freon does not fall to a certian > temperature after > going through the condenser, which is caused by the fan not > kicking on, > which would also be why the a/c only works when driving down > the highway, > because that is forcing air back through the condenser and > radiator. > You're overheating problem will also be caused by this because > the cooling > fan isn't kicking on to cool the antifreeze in the radiator. > Which causes > your engine to overheat unless you are driving down a city > road or > something with a decent straight way to it. And i'm willing > to bet it > still will overheat even then. Check this first, if no luck > there, check > the wiring, you know the obvious grounds and connections to > the fan and > sensor. Good luck

ok i got the test, but i forgot what the guys said it was. But i do remember that he said it had nothin to do with the ac or fan motor. Actually he even said its probably nothin to worry about at all period. So i check all the fuses and replace that sensor. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR GUYS INPUT I APPRECIATE IT. TIM

Reply to
twitchentim

Don't just replace sensors! Yes, what "automike" wrote are good tests, but don't just assume that's the problem. There are many reasons why a fan won't turn on. Also don't just assume because the guy that pulled your codes said it had nothing to do with the fan that it doesn't. I have met many techs that really don't know very much about certain vehicle systems. If the DTC was something like "QDM A Error", he may say that it's the computer giving an error and nothing to do with the fan, when actually it is. If your check engine light is on, it is something to worry about. It's your car telling you something is wrong.

Find out what the code was and people here can help you properly diagnose the problem.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

"twitchentim" wrote: > ok i got the test, but i forgot what the guys said it was. But > i do remember that he said it had nothin to do with the ac or > fan motor. Actually he even said its probably nothin to worry > about at all period. So i check all the fuses and replace > that sensor. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR GUYS INPUT I APPRECIATE IT. > TIM

i replaced the relay for 8 dollars and everthing works now. The guy from autozone didn?t know, Like me haha. Thanks guys

Reply to
twitchentim