a/c compressor noise **video**

My compressor started to make this noise and I am not sure if it is the compressor or clutch. Pressure is nominal on high and low side. I brought it to a repair shop and they immediately said that I will need a new compressor - which means I need to flush, replace orifice, etc.

It blows cold air, I just refuse to use it because I picture metal shavings running through my system :(

It never starts making the noise immediately: it takes a few seconds. I turn off the A/C and the noise goes away when the compressor disengages. When I turn it back on the same noise will occur after a few seconds.

Take a look at the video and let me know what you think.

Thanks, James

Reply to
james.2020

A story, but no question......?

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

Oh yeah. Is the compressor shot or could it be the clutch? I guess I want to rule out everything before I go and perform an a/c overhaul.

- James

Reply to
james.2020

Yr/make/model?

Since the clutch engages and the noise is present when the compressor is in operation it may be the compressor is low on oil. It has already been diagnosed and if the compressor is sick then it will need replacement along with flushing the entire system as normal procedure.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt