a/c compressor "thrum" - 1997 Trans Sport

Beginning this fall, I've noticed a loud "thrumming" or droning sound coming from under the hood of our '97 Trans Sport that didn't used to be there - only with the a/c compressor engaged, and proportional to engine speed. Sometimes I even hear the same sound emanating from the rear a/c evaporator (interesting front-to-back stereo effect!)

Although the a/c still seems to be working, this sound suggests that something's not happy - compressor bearing? low refrigerant? Should I get this attended to asap, or can I wait til next summer?

Any advice anyone has to offer would be appreciated!

Reply to
Joe Shlabotnick

Could be overcharged, and liquid freon is entering compressor. Does it do it at idle ? If so, watch compressor while engaging. Does clutch turn evenly, or does it make and break. Some clutches cycle, but the engagement should be smooth and complete.

Reply to
451ctds