A/C diagnosis/repair, DIY?

The A/C in my truck has never worked since the day I bought it, which is over two and a half years ago. Presumably the system is empty (R-12 printed on the compressor). Is there a way I can tell if the compressor is good myself, rather than take it to a shop? If the compressor is blown then to hell with it, maybe someday I'll find a good one at a junkers. In the meantime I'd stick a sunroof in it instead. The clutch works, as I discovered yesterday when I applied +12v to the green wire ontop of the compressor. Any ideas? Thanks.

'91 T-15 Jimmy, 4.3L TBI, 700R4, rusting a little more with each passing day.

Reply to
SBlackfoot

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 17:06:39 -0500, °Py°a°ts°

Reply to
Mike Levy A+, N+, MCP

The accumulator has a pressure switch, looks like an oil pressure sensor. Unplug plug, and use a short heavy jumper wire to bypass switch, now try compressor, just a short burst please ! The switch keeps the compressor from engaging if the freon pressure is too low. Without this switch, the compressor would burn up, due to poor / no oil flow. Assuming the compressor starts, and sounds OK with switch jumpered, you could simply be low on Freon, or you have a leak. If it were my truck, I'd convert to R 134A. Much cheaper in the long run, if you plan on keeping truck a long time. Post back if you need more info on the conversion.

Reply to
451ctds