A/C, drop in or swap over??

ive been esteemed the honor of getting my father in laws A/C up nd running in his 82 el camino. 350 / R4 syst...hasent worked since he bought the car

4 yrs ago....found it void of any refrigerant....was wondering if any of you had really good recommendations on drop in R12 replacements or if their was any really bad things to watch out for in converting R4 compressor system over to R134a.........just a question for conversation........kjun
Reply to
Kjun

You can get some good info at

I converted my90 Reatta to 134a using one of their new compressors, and associated parts.

My old compressor had a leak at the front seal anyway, so the conversion was not too much more expensive than a normal repair.

Reply to
<HLS

Hey Kjun:

I've converted systems simply by filling them with R134A and putting the adapter connectors on and they worked fine for as long as the cars ran - couple of years. I've heard that when doing this the right way you should replace the hoses though as apparently 134 will seep through hose walls that R12 would not. Worth checking into. Given that your system sat empty for so long, new hoses might not be a bad idea anyway.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

"Barrier" hoses were recommended at one time. The concensus now seems to be that they are not necessary. But, as you say, on an old car new hoses may not be a bad idea.

Reply to
<HLS

wrote in news:EbFOh.19411$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net:

thank you both for replies.........since i have NO idea where the R12 went to in the first place i will install fittings and pump some 134 in to find leak, after leak repair it will get new accumulator (hotter than hell in louisiana!), ester 100 oil and a full shot of refrigerant and a blessing from the parish priest for luck........main question was the R4 compressor and if it had any particular weakness when powered up with 134 and the higher pressures.......like most things i will do my best and pray..........kjun

Reply to
Kjun

R134a calls for PAG oil (polyalkylene glycol), I don't think ester is compatible.

Reply to
Kevin

Again, do a read at

Lots of good info there.

Some of the GM compressors were notorious for leakages at the front seal as they age. This might well be where your leak is.

There is a right way and a wrong way to do this conversion, and you will be a lot happier in the long run if you do it the right way.

Reply to
<HLS

Both are compatible with R-134 refrigerant, only one is compatible with the mineral oil that is already in the system, the other is a better lubricant.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

On my Reatta, we flushed the system to get rid of the old lubricant, and anything else that might have been in there. The mechanic who performed the work said that it was pretty black. And I believe that they generally refer to this condition of failure as 'black death'

Reply to
<HLS

The proper way to do a conversion.

Yup.