A/C evaporator core -- Possible to clean from engine side?

Based upon several posts here, I suspect that my evap core is gunked up. I read an article by a guy who was able to get at the one on his 92 Pontiac through the plenum, from the engine side, and clean it thoroughly in about
10 minutes. Anyone know whether something similar is possible on a 99 Olds Intrigue? Thanks, DW
"DLW" wrote

I don't believe so.
Ian
shiden_kai wrote:

Thanks for your response, Ian. I wonder whether -- as one other feeble, last-ditch, lazy man's attempt -- one of those commercially available chemical cleaners might do any good? Or are they only intended to reduce odor? DW
"DLW" wrote

Or
I'm not sure what you are referring to. There are deodorizers available, but of course that won't help a plugged evap core. As far as a chemical....it's hard to see how one would apply it. "If" the evap core is actually plugged, it usually takes something fairly strong like engine shampoo to clean it up. Plus, it helps to be able to actually direct some water at the fins. I doubt that just running some chemical in thru the air intake would do anything.
Unfortunately, the design of the W-bodies makes it almost impossible to access the evap core fins from the engine compartment. Too bad, really....as this is a simple job on many other car lines.
Have you checked your owners manual to see if you may have a cabin air filter in that year? I can't remember off the top of my head when they started putting those in the vehicles, but if you had one, I've seen them get quite plugged up.
Ian
shiden_kai wrote:

I've come across some that *claim* to clean as well as deodorize.....

Yep, there is *supposed* to be one, but the filter housing is empty. So I imagine that whatever debris it would have stopped is now clogging the evap core. Oh, boy. Thanks again, Ian. DW
"DLW" wrote

evap
Well, I suppose that you "might" be able to see the evap core from that filter housing....or possibly you could get creative and snake a hose down in there and see if you could wash the core off sight unseen. Sorry we can't be more helpful.
Ian
Clem wrote:

Actually, I was only kidding, but thanks -- that's good to know. That tells me that it may be next to impossible to snake any kind of vacuum hose down in there and past the blower in the hopes of sucking debris off the evap core. DW
Clem wrote:

On that same 99 Intrigue, I just noticed a curved, sliding door that can pull forward to cover the fan. It rests just below the cabin air filter, and it has an indentation as though intended as a finger-hold. It seems not to actuate with the system set on Recirc. Anyone know what it is for? DW