A Toast, To 15 Years Of Pontiac Reliability!

At some point during the day, Saturday, February 4, 2006 when your out drinking at the neighborhood pub, restaurant or lounging at home, raise a glass of you favorite beverage in honor of 91 Bonneville's 15th
Anniversary. The most reliable, trouble free vehicle I ever owned.
Cheer's !
I will tip my glass of diet Pepsi for you

Tim or Linda wrote the following on 2/3/2006 5:33 PM:

Me too!
And how many 15 year old toyatas, hondas, kias, subarus, nissans and mazdas do you see on the road?
Here (Kent, WA) I see a lot more Pontiacs...
Harry Face wrote:

Oh, I see a LOT of 15 year old Toyotas, Hondas, and Nissians here in Nashville. I also see a bunch of Buicks like my 1990 Buick Century V6, which turned 166,666.6 miles when I pulled into the parking lot this afternoon. I'm the 3rd owner.
Kias, Subarus, and Mazdas haven't been sold in large numbers and I don't think that the Kias were imported 15 years ago.

--
Kent Finnell
From the Music City USA
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Harry Face) wrote in 3154.bay.webtv.net:

Will do, and ditto! I have a 92 Olds 98 Regency with 279,000 miles on it and still going! The most that has ever gone wrong with it was a MAF sensor!
Just bought a 92 Park Avenue with 150K on it, hoping it will do the same.
You know, every now and then GM screws up and makes a car that actually runs well and lasts!
BigBob

Oh come on - no wheel bearings? Certainly an alternator or two in that time. Not that I consider those to be an excessive repair for that kind of mileage, but I've owned enough GM's that I've taken to high mileage that I can't imagine one not having required these repairs. And... I just *know* that engine is leaking antifreeze. But even that problem - persistent as it is over the years of production, can be something that remains at the nusance level for a very long time... it sometimes never develops to the level of a real problem.

Is it an Ultra? I kept one up to 250,000 miles. Simply loved that car. Wonderful ride, great handling, the supercharged 3.8 was an unbeatable engine, classic Buick appointments inside - you just can't beat what Buick does inside a car, and not a bad maintenance record over that time. Did put in a wheel bearing or two, crankshaft sensor, crank pulley, and occasionally put air in the tires. Admirable in my book.

They make a lot that last a long time. It's just that there are some problems that they should have addressed years ago instead of foisting them off on the public. I think GM's reputation would not have been impacted nearly as much if they had simply addressed the intake gasket issue and a couple of other high-incident failures across their product lines. The cars are great in so many respects, but that sometimes gets lost in the blur of some of these high visibility problems.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

OK, I meant by 'most' as in the 'most expensive' Sure, I have done the bearings, alternators (probably 8 of those) and brakes and what nots, but like you say, show me ANY car with that kind of mileage that hasn't.

Nope, the fully loaded standard model, but quite nice nonetheless. A great deal at $600. I am surprised to hear that you enjoyed the superharged 3.8 as most folks I know that have it only get about 180K out of that motor. Plus, I just prefer a plain old naturally aspirated engine.

AMEN BROTHER!
BigBob

I took MAF in school.
<<At some point during the day, Saturday, February 4, 2006 when your out drinking at the neighborhood pub, restaurant or lounging at home, raise
a glass of you favorite beverage in honor of 91 Bonneville's 15th Anniversary. The most reliable, trouble free vehicle I ever owned.
Cheer's ! >>>>
Cheers, it is! My 97 40th anniversary edition is nearly halfway there, mileage-wise. Also very reliable.

Whiskey for my men and Beer for my ponies
Congrats, I will toast with an Old Dominion Ale. What was your maintenance schedule like ? Did you use a dealer, indie, or yourself for the maintenance and minor repairs? I have a new car and am strongly considering full indie service. However VW recently screwed me on a repair 1,300 after warranty expired, probably because I did not use dealer service. The problem was very likely caused by a faulty water pump that caused 2 overheats and 4 dealer visits to fix.
I tried hard to keep my Taurus for 15 years but 9 1/2 was all it would do without major surgery. If I did not have kids my name would either be on the list for the Solstice or a new GTO

Steve G.
I've done the all the routine work like brakes, oil changes, tune up, starters, alternators & water pumps etc. Only had to take it to the dealer one or two times in 1992 for a Cruise problem and a coil problem.
I have a friend that's a GM mechanic that does the bigger jobs I don't have the tools or skills for.
A trans shop rebuilt the trans at 192,000 miles in 2001.

Harryface, I share your opinion of Ponies--sold used cars for years. During the 70's I was introduced to them; hurt my business; if customers halfway serviced them, they wouldn't need another car!(ALMOST) Hope you can share a little humor with me: the reason we like them so much: Its letters spell P(oor) O(ld) N(ovice) T(hinks) I(ts) A C(adillac). Happy motoring.......s
Message from Harry Face written on 2/3/2006 5:11 PM:

Looks like the mileage is climbing fast on the PA...
Harry Face wrote:

I anxiously awaited 300,000 miles with you...
Congrats on 15 years together...
Harry Face wrote:

I'll drink to that!!
My 1979 Chevy Beauville G20 9 passenger window van is purring like a kitten as well.
What size motor?

I'm not OP, but 3800 v-6 is the engine. Possibly (probably, in my opinion)the best engine GM EVER made. Best of 4 worlds: power, smoothness, economy, and longevity. s

smoothness,
Agreed. Coolant leak issues notwithstanding. Still the best engine for the money out there. Supercharge it and it gets even better.