abs brakes?

ok,I have a 2005 pontiacGP and i have a ABS spot that looks like it should light up on my dash panel , but it never lights when I start the car, like
the book says it should if I have it , I have no Idea if this car has abs or not, i am hearing that it is not standard ( which i wish I would have thought of when buying the car) Is it normal for there to be a place for the light- if the car doesnt have abs? and how do I find out for sure? ( sorry,Im just a girl, not a car expert!!) thank you!!!!

or
the
sorry,Im
I would assume you don't have ABS. If the bulb doesn't come on during the bulb check it could be burnt out or you don't have it. If the bulb was burnt out, your brake warning light would be on constantly.
You could stop by your local dealer and ask them to tell you if you have it or not, they should be able to tell you quite quickly.
Look at your master cylinder and see if there's any sign of ABS motors.
Ian?
Steve
Steve Mackie wrote:

The BPMV should be sitting right beside the master cylinder on these cars. I would imagine it would be hard to miss, unless the OP didn't know what they were looking at.
Ian

ABS is an option. I just looked at the web page and it is a factory installed $600 add on.
When they make the overlays for dashboards and such, all the possible items are usually imprinted. If you have no light, you most likely have no ABS. You can shine a light across the panel or when the sun hits at a certain angle and you will see any other options that may be available, even if your particular car does not have them.

Are you sure? I was 99% certain that ABS was standard on '05 Grand Prix's.

It was my understanding that starting with the 2005 model year, ABS was optional on the W-Body vehicles. My mom has an '05 Impala without ABS.
Steve

Thanks for the info Steve. I wasn't sure.

I checked the present models, maybe 2005 was different. I was surprised that they were not standard on the GP. Downgrading to keep the price low? They are standard on the $13,300 Hyundai Elantra, you'd think they'd be standard on a Grand Prix.
wrote in message

Perhaps it's like what you have seen in this newsgroup. Some people don't want it. I, personally like the ABS in my car, however, others don't.
Any hoo Ami I think you do not have ABS. In my opinion that is a good thing. Less trouble in the long run and cheaper to maintain as well if you plan to keep the vehicle for any length of time.

Thank you everybody for your responses, It has been bothering me since i started wondering about it, and this car was NOT cheap, so i would have expected it to be standard. but from what i am hearing, GM ABS are not too great anyway, and I will have to get used to it, my old car-a chevy lumina- had them and I was so used to depending on them , its hard to break old habits i guess! But you have totally answered all my questions, and I now love this site. thanks again