ABS Brakes

Does anyone know how to change the wheel sensor for ABS brakes, on a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT?

Thanks.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Bulach

Both the front and rear speed sensors are integral with the wheel bearing and hub assembly. So the basic procedure would be to: remove the brake caliper and rotor, (for the front) remove the large axle shaft nut, remove the three bolts that secure the wheel bearing and hub to knuckle, unplug the sensor wiring, remove the wheel bearing and hub from the knuckle and axle. Same procedure for the rear, other then the fact that there is no axle going thru the rear wheel bearing and hub assembly.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks Ian,

I think the fuse will be pulled or the ABS bulb will come out. That's to much trouble to fix.

Thanks again.

Jeff

Both the front and rear speed sensors are integral with the wheel bearing and hub assembly. So the basic procedure would be to: remove the brake caliper and rotor, (for the front) remove the large axle shaft nut, remove the three bolts that secure the wheel bearing and hub to knuckle, unplug the sensor wiring, remove the wheel bearing and hub from the knuckle and axle. Same procedure for the rear, other then the fact that there is no axle going thru the rear wheel bearing and hub assembly.

Ian

Reply to
Jeff Bulach

Have you properly had or performed the correct diagnosis to ensure the problem is definitely with the wheel speed sensor? For safety reasons, I would highly recommend not ignoring the problem by pulling fuses or removing warning lights. Under the right circumstances, you might just find yourself without brakes at all when you need them most.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Maxwell

Ian, thats exactly what they replaced on my Montana 2002. The front l/s hub !!! man oh man, thank God that was on warranty. what they were thinking.... is there a way for a mechanic a home to open the housing ( pressing off the brg) and fixing the probe gear or probe wire ?

I will not likely spend money on ABS if I really can avoid it. Can you damage something if you just decide to ignore the stupid light ?

Thank God I am still on warranty, the lower intake 2 weeks ago, and the Hub this week !!!

Reply to
richard garneau

They replaced the LH hub on my '04 Montana last week...cause the ABS light was coming on....something about a connector breaking, but the ABS light is coming on again....maybe they'll do the other side this time.. ;)

richard garneau wrote:

Reply to
John Reece

I suppose a person could try, but we simply don't get into that at all. (It's not our money, and all that). Front wheel bearing and hub replacements on the U-vans are very common. Either ABS problems, or noise problems. I just did one on a Trailblazer last week, the bearing and hub cost over $1000 dollars canadian. Fortunately, it was under warranty.

No, not really. Most of the newer systems really do simply default to the base hydraulic brakes. There is very little chance that anything in the modulator valve will screw up and affect the base brakes. There were some older model ABS systems that were quite integrated, in other words, the brake assist was also supplied by the abs system, and then there were some models that use electric motors and gear systems to move the valves, these could get stuck in bad positions and cause problems. But the newer systems seem to be fairly foolproof when there is a "detected" ABS problem.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai