ABS sensor

1998 GMC Jimmy 4WD

Just changed the left side wheel bearing hub and now the right side ABS light came on. This light did come on a couple times before I changed the hub and that was not the reason for changing the hub. I took it to a shop and they hooked up the computer and it says right side wheel hub sensor bad. Now I find I must change the entire hub because the sensor and cable is not available. With a bunch of BS.

Reply to
Tim

I was having trouble with my ABS. It turned out to be caused by iron dust building up on the sensor causing bad signals to the control module. Let me know if this helps.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Tim-had this problems multiple times. Could be internel but...if diagnosed correctly and it is indeed the right side, look over the antilock wire that runs from the frame near the upper a frame all the way down to the wheel bearing, especially at any 'stress' points-ie where it makes sharp bends. How many miles on the Jimmy-are you the origional owner-reason being if you have lets say 100k and you aren't the origional owner or even if you are-has that right bearing ever been changed? If it has(or you don't know-but probably has) the aftermarket wheel bearing sensor wire DO NOT hold up like the origional GM wires. We do many bearings at our shop and when we remove a GM bad bearing, we save the lug nut studs and the antilock wire to use(splice, tape, seal)in a case such as yours. Even though but...Did you save your old bearing? If this problem was what you have and your old wire was not your left side problem, use that. If not I'd give a shot in repairing it. Heck if done correctly and it give you a year or so...and in a year-you never know where you or the truck will be! Not saying this is your problem but I've seen it at our shop many, many times. good luck snipped-for-privacy@peru-motors.com

On Jan 26, 12:09 am, "Scott Buchanan" wrote:

messagenews:HZ-dndnoSa5lryTYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
blazerman

Lots of questions to answer I hope I get them all.

I am the second owner, and it has 140,000 miles on it. The right side wheel bearing has been changed by me 3 times and one by a brake shop. I purchased the hub from AutoZone and each time I returned the old for warranty replacement. I wish now I had taken a sensor or two off and saved them.

I hope to take the wheel off tomorrow and check the cabling.

Reply to
Tim

Thanks I will give it a look tomorrow and report back.

Reply to
Tim

I can tell you this IF I need to replace another wheel bearing hub it will NOT come from AutoZone. Someone told me they did the same thing replace several under warranty from AZ then went to NAPA and have not replaced one after that.

I have the paper work that came with the hub and called them. I was put to customer service and asked if they could send me a sensor. The answer was no, the are manufactured outside of this country and they only have complete units.

Reply to
Tim

Tim-if you're able to find a sensor only and that is indeed what you need, I would splice it in. By that I mean connect it at the plug(on frame-to the right front, upper A frame)then splice it as near the wheel bearing as you can. I never have had any luck going all the way to the bearing. I realize that the sensor end has an allen headed bolt and appears to be serviceable but....I have never had any luck. Always continued to have ABS lite on after that type of repair. Something about air gap, ect. Again, use the factory plug end as is and splice the other. Make sure wires are connected where they should be keping in mind that the colors may be different depending on make of bearing/wire. There are two wires-route the wires as they were but adding some slack to the wires as needed(slight). Multimeter to check proper cont. would be best. Good luck jpeer @ peru-motors.com

messagenews:DZSdnb0Pdej2OyfYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
blazerman

Just had time to take the wheel off and see what the problem was. Remember I took it to a muffler/brake shop that had installed (I supplied the hug) it less then a year ago. They did a scan on the system and said it was the right side wheel sensor. They took a look but did not see anything and said the wheel hub with need to be replaced.

I pulled the tire and found the cable was broke completely off. It was very easy to see. It broke at the point come out of the hub and attached to the frame. I striped it out and installed butt splice. I then taped it with some splicing tape and then wrapped it with some good plastic electrical tape. When the weather gets warmer I plan on taking it apart and doing it with some heat shirk tube.

My thinking is after the last few times I have had work done in a shop I am better off doing it myself and I know it will be done right. The only reason I took it to a shop was because I had surgery and was unable to do the work myself.

Reply to
Tim

There are some very good shops, unfortunately, thee are many mechanics that should be flipping burgers instead. Find a good one and stick with him.

Good luck with the recuperation.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I find even most (not all) mechanics are in such a hurry to get the job done before the allowed time so they can make more $$$.

Reply to
Tim

Not I. snipped-for-privacy@peru-motors.com

Reply to