ABS, Traction Control & Service Engine Light on

Has anyone had any experience with a 2000 Cavalier where once the car is put into gear the ABS, Traction Control & Service Engine lights come on. If I turn the car off & restart the car the lights then stay off until the vehicle cools down. Mostly occurs when weather is cold.

I have had mechanics tell me it's a speed senser, which cost $300 to replace and it still does it. I have also been told that it's my ignition switch.

I can live with the turning the vehicle off and back on but if it is any easy fix please let me know.

Reply to
Husky

Actually have it diagnosed.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Thanks for the insightful help Steve. The fact that the mechanics told me it was a speed sensor and then the ignition switch would leave most people of at least average intelligence to think that I have already had it diagnosed. I'm sure you thought of the astonishing response, "Actually have it diagnosed" while you sat at the back of the little yellow school bus today.

For those of you who actually wish to assist, I was hoping that perhaps someone else had experienced the same symptoms and could shed some light on which area to focus on before I drop a few hundred more into the car.

Reply to
Husky

It could be almost anything related to the abs. Randomly replacing parts could get very expensive.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

It sounds like your mechanics are not very knowledgeable or skilled. Start by having the problem properly diagnosed, not guessed at.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

I don't have a suggestion for you on this problem, but I think what Steve meant was to take your car for a diagnosis at a shop that really understands these things. From the sounds of it, your mechanic really does not and it quickly gets expensive if you keep throwing parts at problems. This is a great forum to bring these types of question to and often enough you can find the answers right here... but those typically are for the more well defined problems. So many of these problems today are only well defined through the connection of the scan tool.

It's not my experience that any of these types of problems (similar to yours) have ever been related to the ignition switch, so that one really has me scratching my head. I'd be more inclined to believe a wheel hub is beginning to fail. The ABS sensor is located inside of/and integral part of the hub and bearing assembly. A scan tool will reveal which of the hubs is reporting a failure. Without that, you've got 4 hubs to chose from... pick one. I sure would not be surprised if a 2000 Cavalier needed a hub at this point.

It's often best to take Steve's advice and get the car to a reputable mechanic or the dealer and scan the car. At least you'll know what to fix.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Well I can almost guarantee you that anyone who has had these symptoms will be able to tell you what's wrong with your car. It would be about the same as someone telling you to replace your O2 sensor if you MIL was on because that's what happened to them. "My check engine light is on, what's wrong."

If you are getting two mechanics telling you two different things, then at least one (maybe both) didn't even look at your car. Or if you are getting one mechanic telling you it's one thing, then something else, get a second opinion. Posts like yours pop up on here day after day. "This guy told me it could be this, this guy told me it could be that." If you took it to a mechanic who diagnosed it and told you what the problem was you wouldn't even be here posting this nonsense.

There is nothing anyone in here can do for you other than tell you to take it to a mechanic, unless you are of above average intelligence and know how to diagnose the vehicle yourself, but then you wouldn't be in here asking questions no one can answer. ;)

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Thanks everyone for the advice. To clarify, I have had the mechanics at the dealership diagnose the problem. They said it could be a speed senser, which I replaced. They also said it could be my ignition switch. What the two have in common I do not know. I know others will advise that I go to another dealership, which, if I have to I will. What I was hoping for was to find out if this is a common problem or a unique problem. Sounds like this is a unique situation which will require further testing.

As for the comments for you Steve, they were in response to the many sarcastic response you have posted to other peoples questions. I have stayed away from this format in the past because of posts like yours, and most likely I will do so in the future.

Husky

Reply to
Husky

Hehe. Like it or lump it.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

So anyway, if you still want help, here's some more sarcastic remarks:

You are leaving out a lot of information, it's hard for someone on the other end of a computer to fill holes in stories.

You say the mechanic told you it was a speed sensor so you replaced it. Did the mechanic tell you which one? (don't get pissy, it happens) Did the mechanic "diagnose" it, or did he stick a scan tool on it and say "ya, it's this sensor." See, if all he did was stick a scan tool on it and say the right front sensor is open or shorted, replacing it will not necessarily fix the problem, it could be the wiring.

I believe Ian was just snipping at someone a few threads back about taking the car into the dealership and having it diagnosed but only to take it home, replace the part himself. Which didn't fix the problem and now they were here complaining about it.

You never posted what the trouble codes were, in a case like this, it a necessity when looking for help here. It probably is a common problem and someone here probably knows the answer, but how would you know, all you basically told us is "TCS, ABS, MIL on, mechanic told me it was speed sensor, I replaced it, didn't fix the problem, now he tells me it's the ignition switch." Fill in all the holes and the answer will come.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Yep, I'm with you on this one, Steve. How anyone can be expected to provide any proper insight or advice from the original post in this thread is beyond me! As usual, someone is trying to save a few bucks and it will end up costing them money that didn't need to be spent. The story is incomplete, who really knows what is happening.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

At each wheel is a sensor that measures wheel speed. If this sensor is pulled off, it willproduce the same affects. This condition alone will turn the service lightand set a code after vehicle is started and put in gear. Try a simple wiggle test and inspection on each sensor at each wheel. If this doesn't work check for open sensor or sensor circuit. Jim

Reply to
gobroncos

A lot of that work can easily be eliminated by 'pulling the codes.'

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Like Mike said, Steve is right;...Only a mechanic can pull the codes. Leave things like measuring wiring and sensor resistence to a qualified pro. Even it takes $500 for a truly qualified person to throw parts at it, big deal! you'll feel more comfortable with a professionals explanation as to why after replacing all these parts, the car still experiences the same symptoms. Your mechanic knows better than you! If you've already examined underneath the vehicle and noticed the wiring to one of the sensors has gone bad, or maybe one of the sensors has been unplugged, dont try fixing it yourself! Have it towed to your mechanic immediately so he can plugg it back in with the expertise that only he possess'! You obviously thought this was a forum for do-it-yourselfers! Go now, you peasant, go to the great wizard, the wonderful wizard OZ,...but be sure to bring your wallet!

Reply to
gobroncos

Ummmmm... not sure exactly what you're trying to say here, but for the record, I was making the point in favor of diagnosing the problem and not letting "mechanics" throw parts at it until they'd replaced enough of the car to eventually fix it.

Reply to
Mike Marlow