AC Compressor

I have a 1995 Plymouth Voyager (V-6, 3.0L) with chronic A/C problems. It is currently squealing anytime the A/C is running. The accessory belt wore through. I've replaced that, but the squealing is only worse. I believe the problem is with the pulley on the A/C compressor. Can the bearings in the compressor be replaced or do I have to replace the entire compressor? Thanks.

Reply to
Tabethabarto

I have a 1995 Plymouth Voyager (V-6, 3.0L) with chronic A/C problems. It is currently squealing anytime the A/C is running. The accessory belt wore through. I've replaced that, but the squealing is only worse. I believe the problem is with the pulley on the A/C compressor. Can the bearings in the compressor be replaced or do I have to replace the entire compressor? Thanks.

Reply to
Tabethabarto

Reply to
Mike Levy

Yeah, the 'gm' in alt.autos.gm doesn't mean 'general mechanic' :)

Reply to
Mike

Disconnect the AC drive belt, and try spinning the compressor with the AC off, the pulley should turn easialy. With the AC * ON *, engine off, key on the electrical clutch should engage, the compressor should turn by hand, but with some resistance.

A rebuilt compressor, change accumulator too, is the best value for the dollar, along with a R134A conversion, if R 12 from factory.

Reply to
451ctds