AC Compressor

I have a 1995 Plymouth Voyager (V-6, 3.0L) with chronic A/C problems. It is currently squealing anytime the A/C is running. The accessory belt wore through. I've replaced that, but the squealing is only worse. I believe the
problem is with the pulley on the A/C compressor. Can the bearings in the compressor be replaced or do I have to replace the entire compressor? Thanks.
I have a 1995 Plymouth Voyager (V-6, 3.0L) with chronic A/C problems. It is currently squealing anytime the A/C is running. The accessory belt wore through. I've replaced that, but the squealing is only worse. I believe the problem is with the pulley on the A/C compressor. Can the bearings in the compressor be replaced or do I have to replace the entire compressor? Thanks.
I guess this is proof GM owners are smarter than Daimler-Chrysler and Ford owners, if they keep coming to our groups asking questions about vehicles not made by GM, thinking we know the answer...
On 08 Jul 2003 17:40:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Tabethabarto) wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 20:15:21 +0000, Mike Levy wrote:

Yeah, the 'gm' in alt.autos.gm doesn't mean 'general mechanic' :)
Disconnect the AC drive belt, and try spinning the compressor with the AC off, the pulley should turn easialy. With the AC * ON *, engine off, key on the electrical clutch should engage, the compressor should turn by hand, but with some resistance.
A rebuilt compressor, change accumulator too, is the best value for the dollar, along with a R134A conversion, if R 12 from factory.