Accuracy of transaxle dip stick

Is it possible that the transaxle dip stick is reading higher than the actual fluid level? I ask because the unit started to leak a few months ago, so I started
checking the level. It was reading high. The leak got worse, and I continued checking periodically and the level dropped. It is now down to the Full mark, but now there is occasionally a little hesitance during acceleration, as if it were too low causing slippage.
BTW, I took it to a tranny shop a couple days ago and they found the sidel place bolts loose and tightened them. Leak seems to have stopped. Fingers crossed...
TIA
Ed
Forgot to mention this is a '95 Buick Park Ave Ultra
Ed

Ed wrote:

old. You must have been checking the level occasionally. Either your imagination is working overtime or coincidently the tranny is getting tired. There's another possibility, but I would never suggest a dishonest transmission shop would do anything to generate business. In this case they had an opportunity while you were there and appear to have treated you fairly. Your engine might be lacking power. There could be other problems. If you can actually determine that it is slipping, don't drive it around hoping for an improvement. Get it serviced at that point.

Thanks. Actually, I checked it rarely because for most of the time there were no drips on the garage floor, and the level never changed. I'm afraid my memory is so poor that I don't remember where it read early in its life.
I agree that the shop is to be commended. Not long ago I had the transmission in my Jaguar (a BW12 in a 1976 XJ-S) resealed there, so I guess I was treated as a good customer. He drove the car (the Park Ave) and said he didn't feel any slippage. Nonetheless, I do occassionally feel it, and the engine (supercharged--- it's an Ultra) doesn't lack power.
I have put a little more Dextron in... not much, just about 1/8-1/4" above the full mark. I'll see if that cures the slippage. If not, it's back tot he shop.
BTW, the car has 103,000 miles. Transmission was removed for repair of a slight roughness in shifting into 2nd right near the end of the warranty period, 50,000. My thought is them might have installed the dipstick tube incorrectly, if that is possible.
Ed

Yes it is possible.
Are you sure that you are checking the fluid level properly? Often the fluid is checked with the engine running and the tranny in Park, or somesuch combination. If you try to check it with the engine off, etc, your numbers won't necessarily be meaningful.
Thanks.
Yes, I'm doing the check per the Owners Manual.
Ed

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 21:06:53 GMT, "Ed"

surface, engine running, in "Park". Have you ever had the trans serviced, that meaning drained, filter changed, then refilled with fresh Dexron?
Thanks.
I'm checking it per the owners manual... drive it 10 miles or so, run through all the gears, leave it in Park, etc.
Yes, it was removed for repair of a slight shudder shifting into 2nd at about 50k miles--- right before end of warranty period. No service since. Guess its time...
Ed