Adding coolant to 98 Alero

I need to add some coolant to my wife's Alero, but I can't get the dang lid off. The lid screws off just fine but, when I remove it, there's a black plastic disk covering the hole to the coolant tank and I can't get the stupid thing off. I'm sure it's very simple, I'm just not smart enough to get it off. Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Dan Iwerks

99 is the first year for the alero.

basically, the lid is stuck. you need to get in a heated garage to get it out, or use a small slotted screwdriver like a crowbar and risk damaging the cap.

it's unfortunate, and i went through it too, but i think it's a safety measure where the cap will not open easily so you don't hurt yourself and open the lid while the coolant is boiling hot. they forgot to check how well it works in winter though.

yofa - snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Anonymous

Are you trying to "add"through the reservoir on the side - I believe this is how it is to be added

Reply to
jw

"Dan Iwerks" wrote

You've basically separated two parts of the pressure cap. Just use a flat tipped screwdriver to pry out the section that is stuck in the overflow container. The seals get dried out and that part of the cap tends to get stuck in the overflow container. Once you get it out, if you haven't damaged it, it just snaps back into the section of the cap that has the threads. To keep this from happening, lube up the o-ring seals on the cap....use something like silicone caliper pin grease.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Just a thought from an old mechanic but try this:

WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD ONLY!!!!

Start the engine and quickly remove the cap and have someone race the engine about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle and see if you can remove the disk.

If I remember correctly, there is a vacuume formed in the tank when the engine is shut off to allow for "suction and/or pressure" to move fluid back and forth to the radiator as needed. It is possible that when the engine shuts down and is cold, suction is holding the disk in place. Running the engine at medium speed for a few seconds will remove the suction.

If the disk does not come free in three minutes or less, PUT THE CAP BACK ON and shut the engine down.

When cars would come into the shop were hot, and needing water badly we did this so we could remove the radiator cap WITHOUT scalding ourselves so we could add water. If you tried to remove the cap with the engine not running, it would shoot scalding hot water out all over burning you and everything else.

This MAY NOT work on this disk because it may have been sealed too tightly over many times of cooling and heating but it's worth a try BEFORE you damage it.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Bob D