adding grease to mechanical fuel pump before install

Hello folks. I'm going to install mechanical fuel pump on 1981 Pontiac, 305 c.i. V8 - It's the type of engine using pushrod between cam eccentric and pump lever. Instructions with pump ( AC Delco ) say to lubricate cavity of pump with grease prior to installing. Q: What kind of grease and how much? Will wheel bearing grease do it ? Is the cavity ( lots of volume ) filled with grease, or just some on lever pivot ? Any advice re: installing with pushrod, I've heard using grease to hold rod in place during installation.

Please reply to ng. Thanks,-JS

Reply to
Question Authority

I think they are talking of putting grease on the pushrod to hold it in place until you get the pump installed. You don't need to fill the whole cavity with grease. Any grease will do as long as it is thick enough to hold the push rod in place. Remember to make sure the eccentric is at the lowest point when you install the pump, it is hard to compress the pump spring and get the bolts started.

Reply to
Doug Adams