Advances in vehicle design ???

A couple of years ago I replaced my '97 Buick LeSabre with the 2005 model. The old one was rusting out.
I really miss quarter-windows; a handle to lower or raise
the other windows. Do others feel the same?
With the '97 I could stop the car, open a door and listen to the radio but the '05 loudly beeps a warning.
I also miss the totally variable control of the speed of the windscreen wipers.
Any more gripes?
Fred
Fred Williams wrote:

Starting with the late '90s cars, I frequently wanted a large "override button" that would kill all the interlocks and 'logic' built into those cars.

I'd rather push a button from the driver's seat to control the windows. Impossible to safely close the right side while moving with manual control.

I never listened to the radio like that, but the beeping of an open door while the key is in place is annoying.

I thought the wipers on my LeSabre worked very well with the rain sensor.
As for other gripes,, I wear my seatbelt all the time, but on occasion I do want to move the car across the parking lot or similar and that damned bell keeps ringing if I don't buckle.
Other things are true advances for either safety or convenience, IMO. Heated outside mirror, the electro chromatic inside mirror, air bags, 100,000 mile spark plugs, remote starter.
Never thought I'd do it, but I'm also paying for XM radio. I've only had my new car for four months, but I really enjoy the non-commercial radion with a huge selection of music stations.

I like it too. I had no interest in OnStar, but satellite radio would be hard for me to do without now.
On 04/03/2010 08:54 AM, hls wrote:

count me in as well. Including free satellite radio in new cars was a stroke of marketing genius. the stuff is like crack. I've even installed a sat receiver in my pickup truck.
My only complaint is the "by receiver" pricing plan. I'd love to be able to listen to it at work and in the house as well (esp. in the house, during hockey season) but can't justify the added cost. (Internet access would solve that problem, but streaming is blocked at work.)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Nate - Is the one in your PU truck in a caddy (docking station) - like the Roady XT? You can buy just the caddies to put in multiple vehicles, then simply unplug the receiver from the caddy and move it from vehicle to vehicle paying only the one monthly fee.
AND you can get a caddy for use in your house (comes with antenna and power wart) that you plug the same receiver into that's usually in your car or truck. Still only the one monthly fee. No computer involved - only a good satellite signal.
My daughter and her husband gave me the in-house caddy for Christmas.
--
Bill Putney
On 04/03/2010 09:37 AM, Bill Putney wrote:

No, it is some old thing I bought used and cheap online. (I already had a "satellite ready" head unit.)
I thought that a "caddy" type arrangement was available, but when I tried to search one out online, I came up dry. I'd still have to pay for two subscriptions, as the XM is built into my company car, but that would be a huge improvement in utility. I'd prefer not to use something like the roady where the display is built into a separate unit and it uses an aux. input (or worse yet, an FM modulator) because I already have enough egregious stuff hanging off my dash (GPS, auxiliary gauges, etc.)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Yeah - I know what you're saying. I put up with FM modulators for a while, but it was too bad. I finally got later model radios and put them in my two main cars and still had to get some aux adapter off of ebay. The aux adapter is stuffed under the dash behind the radio out of sight, so it's just the Roady on its cell phone-type mount and a couple of small cables going into the dash. It's been worth it for my 50 minute x 2 commute each week day.
--
Bill Putney

The Roady was cheap and easy BUT all those wires were a PITA. We got satellite ready ready radios in the last two cars and it works like magic. I, in particular, like old time radio classics...Richard Diamond, Gunsmoke,etc. When my sweetie is with me,we often listen to 23 (Love Music)..
We can go for thousands of miles and hear what we want.
Everyone, have a good Easter, whether you are Christian, Muslim, or Hindu.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Well, I wouldn't try and use the manual control while e.g. turning :-)

Don't have the rain sensor. HI, LO, various intermediate settings, OFF

With my 2005 LeSabre Custom it beeps 4 times only.

Agreed.
As with the '97 LeSabre there is no reasonable way of feeding the AC wire for the block heater. They could have mounted an AC socket (with protective cover) somewhere.