aftermarket radiator (plastic tanks/aluminum core)

Could someone please comment on the use of aftermarket radiator with plastic tanks/aluminum core? I am considering imminently replacing the radiator in my 1988 Olds Cutlass Ciera (2.8L mpfi/auto/fwd) which I have been driving around with a leak for a few months. My question would be whether aluminum core is adequate from heat removal standpoint. Further more the manufacturer of this item indicated the tank is made of plastics (I presume they meant the two main fluid chamber on the sides where the exit/entrace hose are located), is this any good?.

By the way, what did they meant by Type Mount: C oil cooler 1-1/2" as far as I know my current rad has no oil cooler, instead it has two tubes running into the transmission (trans cooler??)

I search their website

and eventually found the one for 1988 Olds Ciera with 2.8L VIN W. Shown below. Thanks for you comments.

Sam Kaan

those damn plastic tanks are naughty...

on my two olds toronados those damn tanks have cracked, on the driveres side, forcing me to look for discontinued tanks and pull out that rad. and replace them! id go for the non-PTA radiators.

turismo

Why mess with it. Take it to a radiator shop and they can replace the core very easily..

BillW

Those tubes that run to the transmission are carrying transmission oil (fluid) into and out of the radiator so that it can be cooled. Any radiator that you buy would have to have the internal cooler unles you install a separate transmission cooler.

Reply to
Rich B

Plastic/Aluminum radiators have been around long enough. Mine car has the original plastic/aluminum ( Harrison ) radiator and I've had no problems with it.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~270,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Hello, why replace the the whole Radiator just replace the cracked tank. It cost alot less, if you have a radiator shop around you that does replace just the tank. I had mine replaced 3 yrs ago. Its worked perfectly ever since. it a waste of money to replace the whole radiator just for a cracked tank. Your just making the Auto Dealers, and Auto Parts and wrecking yards richer. Not Me. HaHaHa. Hope this Helps

Reply to
Hosscart90501 ==============