Aftermarket Stereo?

I have a 2005 Sunfire. I would like to install an aftermarket stereo radio/cd player. Someone told me that all the electronics such as the airbag, security system and computer run through it and that it is very difficult to install. In fact, the old stereo is usually mounted under the seat or in the trunk so it makes the system work. Does anyone know if this is true? Why can't the old stereo be removed and an aftermarket one put in its place?

Nino

Reply to
Nino NoSpam

None of that runs through the radio. The radio does not have a switched power lead like older ones, it has an always on power connection and the class II data bus tells it to turn on so you will need something to turn on and off the aftermarket radio via the signal. Also the chime runs through the radio so you will need something to provide the chime. The radio also has the ability to reset the oil life reminder and other things like that which are not necessary but nice to have so if you want to keep some of those features you can get the relocate kit to keep the factory radio installed somewhere.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Also - if you have onstar, that runs through the factory stereo on many gm cars.

Reply to
croaker68

You lose any programming items that are controlled through the radio. You also lose the chimes and warning tones as well. Facts of life with many new vehicles. If you have any onstar items they are also through the radio.

Reply to
Steve W.

Who else is doing this with their radios other than GM?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

two ways to do it, a harness that energizes the old radio that is now put away in the trunk and the new stereo plays through the speakers, or a Radio data bus box.

The two kits are about the same price $50-$75 or so and the install of the data box is easies instead of running the 20ft of wire to the trunk.

Reply to
I'm Right

Reply to
Nino NoSpam