Air-bag sensors question

I have a 93 Bonneville that has air-bags for both driver and passenger. I notice a sensor in front of my rad near the hood latch. It is in bad shape due to corrosion. Should I replace this sensor? if yes, can I simply disconnect my battery and wait for about 15 minutes to make sure the air-bag system is completely disable (service manual said the air bag system can still deploy up to 2 minutes) then un-plug the yellow connector that lead to the sensor and replace the sensor?

Same question but for my steering wheel with radio control and air bag. I need to remove it to fix my radio control button at the same time. With the battery disconnected, un-plug the yellow connector at the bottom of the steering wheel column, can I remove the air-bag without concern of the air-bag deployment?

Thx in advance for you help.

MN

Reply to
Mnn

As far as the impact sensor, if it looks like it's corroded enough that it might be rusted through, it should probably be replaced. If it's just surface corrosion I wouldn't be too worried. Yes, disconnecting the battery and then unplugging the sensor should be all you need to do to replace it.

Same deal with the airbag module itself - however, I don't think you should have to remove the wheel or airbag module to do that repair. It would probably be a good idea to disable the system as you described anyway.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Reply to
Bobo

and be damn careful if you remove the airbag. Even discharged, they can be dangerous.

Reply to
clevere

"clevere" wrote

If you aren't aware....the bags themselves are not what is charged or discharged. Once you disconnect the airbag connector, there is little/no chance of it blowing up unless you "want" it to blow up.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Nope, I wasn't aware. I know that the electrical connection for the airbag goes into something that creates a chemical reaction (I think on the 94's it's a charge, but I'm not 100% sure).

Reply to
clevere

Thank you gentlemen! Just want to be sure!

Reply to
NOSPAM

The part that stores energy, and requires you to wait a few minutes for it to discharge before considering the system disabled, is the DERM (Diagnostic Energy Reserve Module), or SDM (Sensing & Diagnostic Module) on newer cars. This stores power to inflate the airbags in the event that electrical power is lost in a collision.

Reply to
Robert Hancock