Alcohol ?

I was just reading through the owners manual for my 2002 BUICK.
It says "DO NOT USE ALCOHOL in the gas, will invalidate warranty"
( I don't have the book in front of me for "type of alcohol" )
Does this mean no can of "Dry-Gas" in wintertime ?
I know they use an ethanol mix in the gas in some midwestern states.... How does this affect the warranty ?
Anyone had any experience with this ?
<rj>
I don't think that's the exact wording that's in there. Most likely what it means is no methanol, as it may damage fuel system components. Ethanol will be fine.
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 00:29:37 GMT, "Robert Hancock"

So, where would I ever encounter METHANOL ? ( intentional, or accidentallly ? )
<rj>
They have been putting that in Owner's Manuals for decades. Presumably it was more common to find junk additives in gasoline years back. Now you would probably only find it in third world countries. GW
"" wrote:
So, where would I ever encounter METHANOL ? ( intentional, or accidentallly ? )
<rj>

RJ wrote:

Methanol is sold as "gas line antifreeze". You dump a 12 ounce bottle of it into a tank of gas. The alcohol combines with any water it finds, and then it is burned in the engine. If the water is not trapped out that way, and if the weather is very cold, it can freeze into ice and block the gas line completely. So, if you don't need to use gas line antifreeze, then don't use it. The methanol can have a softening effect on certain rubber and synthetic parts of the fuel system, especially if used in higher concentrations than a bottle in a tank.
---Bob Gross---

Racetrack. There, methanol (wood alcohol) is used as a high-performance fuel. Unfortunately, it can also dry out the rubber parts of fuel systems, leading to leaks and ka-blooey. It also burns with an ultraviolet flame, causing nearly invisible fires, which is quite risky to emergency personell.
Ethanol will do the same thing, but usually on a smaller scale. Both the US and Canadian governments allow ethanol (grain alcohol, or booze) in concentrations up to 10%. This is called gasahol <sp>, and most (for some reason Nissan seems to think that even this amount voids warranties) auto manufacturers allow it.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSION FOLLOWING
Why is ethanol used? For each energy unit, nearly two units are used in production. I don't care how environmentally friendly it is, but for me, that seems wasteful.
Vuarra

Because the American midwest produces more corn than it can market.
Ag groups lobby the government to "do something with it".
BTW; They've developed home heaters that burn ( dried ) corn kernels. Dump a bushel of corn in the hopper, and heat your home. ( my Gramma would say; "Burning FOOD ?? Blasphemy ! )
<rj>
In the 1970's the British company that manufactures MG's discovered that methanol (when combined with water) corroded the solder in their fuel tanks causing them to leak. In the 1970's Atlantic Richfield added methanol to its gas as an environmental move. Methanol's MSDS lists it as a corrosive and it was not allowed inside of our plant for that reason.
****************************************** I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~