Allowable Tires Sizes '93 GMC Safari Van

I'm trying to find information on the allowable tire sizes for my '93 GMC Safari Van. I just came from GMC's web page, but they don't seem to list any
such information on there. My owners manual and shop manual offer no such information. My van originally came with P205-75R15, and I'd like to know whether I can install P235-75R15 on it. I have an S10 which uses the P235, and so I tried to compare the two tires by holding a tape measure up to them. When I measure from the ground to the top of the P205, I get about 26 inches (or going sideways accross the tire, I get about 27 inches diameter). Now when I measure from the ground to the top of the P235, I get about 27 inches (or going sideways accross the tire, I get about 29 inches diameter). I hope that someone out there will have some reference material that they can check for me. I will attempt to find this online, but I wanted to drop a message here first. I know that the safest thing is to stay with the original size, but if I can use the P235, then this might be an advantage, I believe. Thanks, Dale
TeleDale Key Service, http://www.angelfire.com/wizard/teledale 1811 Saratoga Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44109 U.S.A.

Here's a site that may help you. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Ed

Hi This is Dale again. I looked at that web page and made a couple of comparisons. This information is very interesting, however, I don't know yet whether the Safari vans can accomidate the P235. I think that if I wanted to go one size up (from P205 to P215), that a half an inch shouldn't cause any problem, but perhaps someone else's reference material will have specific info on these vans. Thanks again for posting this stuff. TeleDale Key Service, http://www.angelfire.com/wizard/teledale 1811 Saratoga Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44109 U.S.A.
try www.tirerack.com

any
P235, and

When
(or
diameter). I

can
can
I used to have an a 93 AWD Safari van and ran P225/70R15 Michelin X-One tires in the summer. They were great tires, much better than the stock Uniroyals one of which blew up on me. Those Michelins were on the van until just before I sold it.
Tim or Linda

I hear you on the tire size. Best thing to do is go to the site www.astrosafari.com and do a search cuz I know they have asked the question. Otherwise, they can answer it for you. I have 225/70R15 which is same size as your stock size. Another option is to search www.overlandvans.com and decide if you want to do a little bit of lift to accomodate bigger tires. Not sure if they mention maximum tires sizes on that size. Regardless, a change in tire size will affect your speedo. One size won't change it much but a few sizes bigger you may want to change your final drive and/or speedo gear.
richard - 95 astro AWD

any
P235, and

When
(or
diameter). I

can
can
I have a 97 Astro that original came with 215-75R15.
I have experience using a set of 225-75R15 tires on it with some problems:
1. With full passenger seating (8 people in car) and some luggage in the truck, the rear tires rub the wheel wells when it rides over relatively minor road bumps.
2. front tires rub on maximum turns if there is any looseness or folding of the wheel well plastic covers.
For these reasons, I would be going back to original size tires when I have to change tires again.
David
TeleDale wrote:

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. It would seem like going from 205-75R15 to 215-75R15 shouln't be a problem, as the diameter would only be about a half inch difference. I will consider this the maximum size then. Have a nice Holiday. Dale
TeleDale Key Service, http://www.angelfire.com/wizard/teledale 1811 Saratoga Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44109 U.S.A.
Is your vehicle is equipped with traction control?
mike hunt