Alternative energy

I have recently acquired an electric scooter which I would like to use as local transportation. My problem is it has four rechargeable 12v batteries all hooked up
together in its chassis and I need to find a way to charge them with out spending a ton of dough on a 48v power converter. Does any one have any ideas on where I could look to figure this out.Thanks
It's my opinion that you need a 48V charger; otherwise the batteries connected in series as they are will not get charged properly. If this is a used scooter how did the previous owner charge the batteries? With the money you will be saving on gas you can surely afford a 48V charger. They can't be that expensive can they?

Each 12V battary can be charged by itself

Requires connecting/disconnecting each battery to a single 12V charger or 4 separate chargers.

mike.p wrote:

Hook an isolation diode to each battery and charge them all at once with a 12v charger through the diodes.