Alternator Wiring

I have a ProStart replacement alternator for some recent GM SUV type vehicle. I was told it was a one wire unit, but it has a four pin plug in addition to the output terminal.
Is the plug just for indicators or lights, or does this unit actually need an external regulator? Please email me direct if you cna help. Thanks, Wilson
No external regulator required.

Wilson wrote:

Does the rear of it look like the one on the left?
http://www.novaresource.org/alt/sicsback.jpg
that's a "CS" series alternator, which should help you finding info/wiring diagrams etc.
good luck,
nate

I recently had the local alternator shop fix up a CS (yes, Chicken S&&&) unit as a single wire application for my tractor, and the original plug cavity was filled with silicone rubber, since those terminals are no longer needed.
You normally just run one wire from the B+ terminal on the alternator to the starter terminal (not the solenoid) or to the battery +.
In the tractor application, the rpms are low, the alternator is in open air, and current requirement is minimum, so maybe the CS will hold up. So far, so good.