and yet another brake recall

check ur mailbox for yet another GM antilock recall. ABC reported millions of trucks and suv's involved. folks in coastal and salty regions, especialy, beware of rust probs associated with ur brake system. 99 to

02.......kjun, yep, i own one of them
Reply to
KjunRaven

Greetings,

It was 804,000 vehicles, not "millions". The reported problem is premature activation of the ABS system under very specific conditions that could lead to slightly extended stopping distances. This is most likely nothing more than a programming issue with the ABS computer and will probably be cured with a reflash of the software (although my truck isn't affected so I don't know exactly what the fix is). No accidents, injuries or deaths have been reported by the press to be related to this issue, which leads me to believe that this was initiated by nothing more than customer complaints alone. There have never been any reports in the press of corrosion issues related to this latest recall.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Reply to
Shep

Thanks for the info - I was unaware of what the issue was, just what reported in the press.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Yup. Scared me real bad when I test drove a Tahoe that I thought of buying. I was backing it up to turn it around, when I tried to stop, and it rolled, brake pedal shuddering, six feet past my intended target. Luckily, there was nothing there to hit.

The shop manual describes how to use a multimeter to test the signal from the sensor, to see if the problem is present in the first place. If you hook up a DVM to the speed sensor itself, selecting AC volts measurement, and spin the jacked up front wheel by hand, you should see a reading of at least 100mV AC. If not, you should check and clean the mounting surfaces, as Shep describes. If you can't get the signal up to at least 100mV, the manual says to replace the sensor.

-tih

Reply to
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

"Jonathan" wrote in news:nAhRe.3863$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

i stand by my original post...ABC reported (true or not?)..millions affected / accidents involved.........kjun

Reply to
KjunRaven

Try this link. While someone did correct me that it was an issue with possible corrosion on the ring, it still is only 804,000. My local paper had a figure of 214 complaints to the NHTSA which initiated the recall.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan