Another sign of GM's desperation

Page 2 of 6
non coffee lover Said:

That's true, maybe even put some GM dealerships next to a K-Mart or Target too.

This must be an inside job. Watch the Toyota and Honda car sales increase even more.
"highkm" Coffee Lover "Wickeddoll" A non coffee lover Said:

Hmmm, I dunno. It's such a brass balls move, it may impress someone into going with the GM.
Natalie
Wickeddoll wrote:

I sure hope not. Personally I test drive a wide range of vehicles before setting my sites on what I want to buy. Don't you try on a number of options in new clothes or shoes before picking the ones to buy? I sure do.

For clothing, I choose 1 - 3 options in each - whether it's color or sizes that will possibly "work" - to try on. Same with cars: I narrow it down to 2 - 3 choices via plenty of research first (usually 2 - 3 months' worth of reading & sifting through). *Then* I go to the dealerships to test drive, to make sure I personally like what I've read about. So, by the time I get to a dealership to actually start the shopping process, I'm sure I'm already quite interested in a couple/three certain makes & models, right down to which options I do or don't want.
Cathy

The internet makes that fairly easy also. I've done the same right down to the last option and color. By the time I hit the showroom, I've got a pretty good idea of what the cost should be and the test drive is more of an "approval" of what I expect to find.
My criteria is: Has to look good Price range of what I want to spend Have a reputation for quality (in spite of what we read here, probably 80% of all car fit that today) Be the size and comfort level I want
Looks are subjective but I have my prejudices. I won't buy anything from Chrysler, Saab, some Jags, some Benzes, the Ford 500, while I don't like the Fusion, I do like the Milan, the new Camry, etc. I don't car what they offer in price, quality, or value, I don't want them in my driveway.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

I don't really trust test-runs. I do my shopping for big-ticket items by seeking out those who own the products first. By the time I walk into the store/dealership, I already have a pretty good idea of what I want.
From there, I test drive to get the feel of the car, but the parameters are already in mind.
I should mention that despite my gender, I absolutely *hate* hands-on shopping. I'm a researching type.
Natalie

Or... you'll then decide to go over to the Honda or Toyota dealership instead, even if you originally didn't have one of them in mind... ;-)
Cathy

Camrys are comfortable cars...

so where is the logic?
I will take the Camry any day over a Saturn...

its not even really that pretty or a car.. i dont like the way the back end bows.. reminds me too much of a victoria on the top and then it is kind of squared in the back.. kind of a wanna be honda accord...

I wonder how the GM sales people will address the difference in resale values between the two cars.

Hard to say. IMO, the new Camry front end is ugly and for that reason I did not even consider buying one when I bought my car. I'd just not get caught owning one. The Accord exterior is nice, but the dash is rather blah looking. Seeing them together may be enough to persuade me to go with the Saturn.

I agree about the look of the Camry. Really a dull-looking car, IMO. But there is no way I'd choose a Saturn over it - unless I financially had no choice. Even then, I'd look at a Yaris or something.
Natalie

The Avalon is a nice looking car.

And a nice driver. I test drove one, but decided against it strictly because of price. I decided not to spend that much on any car, but I'd buy one if I decide to go to that price range. Limited stickers about 35k. I know a Lexus driver that prefers his wife's Avalon over his 330.

And has great reviews & customer satisfaction. It's also huge. And pricey.
Cathy

nice looking car.

Not so huge as it may look. We have a '97 Camry and a 2003 Avalon, which, when my wife first drove it, thought that it was too big. But I prevailed and we bought it anyway. Then I measured it and found that the Avalon is 6 inches longer, and 3 inches wider at the bottom of the windows. It seems much larger when you sit in the two cars, but it's not that much bigger. And yes, it's pricey, but we bought a year old one from Hertz auto sales, for less than a new Camry would have cost, and got a sunrroof, alloy wheels, all leather interior, a six CD changer, driving lights, a compass (display) and oodles more. We're very happy with it, and you can drive it 500 miles in a day and not feel as if you're crippled at the end of the day.
On Fri, 25 May 2007 21:28:10 -0400, "Wickeddoll"

Add me to the choir.
I thought the previous generation was a much better looking car.