Another sign of GM's desperation

CONGRESS, each year voting themselves an average salary increase of $8,000

But seriously, GM cars are perceived as 'Old People' cars. Hardly any young people even LOOK much less buy GM/FORD cars anymore.

Maybe GM or FORD should offer a new brand, "GANGSTA" brand for that young crowd with low IQ's and terrible taste in music.

It would sell. They could have the GANGSTA brand of cars sell at special dealerships with a 'theme' of guns, bongs, etc.

GM should 'Get Movin'

Reply to
Coffee Lover

They do. Escalade

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I thought the same about the civic interior.. When I bought my recent car, I had the choice of quite a few various used civics and corollas.. I was actually leaning to the civic more at first. But... I just couldn't warm up to the drab and spartan looking interiors/dash on the civics.. Really plain and cheap looking to me.. On the other hand, the corolla interior looked a bit better to me.. To me, the interior of the corolla is kinda like being in a baby impala. Almost has a US car look to it.. Not quite so drab as the civic.. So... Even though I might prefer the outside looks of the civic, I prefer the inside of the corolla, and the inside is where I spend most of my time. One thing... My comparisons did not include the newest version of civic, cuz I was buying from used cars.. That was another reason I went with the corolla.. The

05 corolla I got is still the current version, until the 08's come out, where as the 03-05 civics were already a discontinued version. So the 05 corolla had a slightly newer look to it vs the civics I looked at being it was still a current version. I'm not totally anti american as far as car choice.. I don't have much problem with *any* brand car I get. I think maintaining them is a large part.. I wouldn't be afraid to buy GM.. Many are pretty good. We had a 02 impala that was a pretty nice car. Never had any trouble with it. But I was shooting for high MPG, and the civics and corollas were up in the top range for that, not counting hybrid.. I could have bought a hybrid civic, but I was paranoid to mess with it.. More to go wrong... I'd rather get 40 mpg from a simple gas burning engine with no batteries, etc, than get an extra 10 mpg with the extra complexity and cost.. In a long term financial view, I think the corolla costs less than a hybrid in the long term. Mainly cuz the initial cost is lower, but also upkeep should be lower in the longrun. You gotta consider insurance too.. But maybe that will change if gas hits 7 bucks a gallon.. :( My old 89 accord has a very nice interior.. Quite fancy overall.. Dunno why the newer ones got so blah looking.. MK
Reply to
nm5k

Where do people with less IQ's, like yourself go?

Reply to
80 Knight

Add me to the choir.

I thought the previous generation was a much better looking car.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I always thought that those brainwashed by foriegn car makers had the IQ of

  1. They all know that Japanese Ice is colder than American ice, even when both have a temp of 29 degrees.
Reply to
TopCat

BMWs ride like trucks and require high maintenance but Americans love them, so where is the logic?

Reply to
TopCat

Americans are confused, especially the youth, look at what the listen to on the radio, rap music, they drive pimped out $500 used Honda Civics with a $5000 stereo system in the trunk and put a coffee can muffler on it and think they are driving a cool hotrod. Anyone driving a 70 Camaro SS is uncool cuz its American. They are actually sellouts. I hate to be around when they start to run the country, but the US is already dying anyway. Its burned itself out with ignorance and excess.

Reply to
TopCat

I don't about with young people, but cars from the 70s are quite popular these days. They're also quite pricey. A lot middle-aged men are making projects out fixing these cars with their kids. A great investment and a great way to bond with your kids. Kind of like Tim the Tool Man Taylor did on the Home Improvement show.

Either way (90s Civic or 70s Camaro or 00s Model A), cool is in the eye of the beholder.

I think those pimped out Honda Civics are stupid, especially when a lot of people who do this would be better off using the time to visit the library and read the books there or using the money for education.

Jeff > They are actually sellouts. I hate to be around

Reply to
Jeff

No, actually it's the Chrysler 300 and the Dodge Magnum.

As a black person, I tend to notice such things. I think all of those cars are ugly, BTW.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

*snip*

They "pimp" them out to race them.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

Speaking for myself, I go with *results* - the fact is, my Toyotas have been WAY less trouble-free than any domestic cars I've owned.

But I also would probably buy a domestic large vehicle, rather than a Toyota. It's been my experience that the US is good with big, wasteful, powerful vehicles, and Japan excels at efficient (small), economical vehicles.

Everyone has their strengths.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

True but GM still sells more cars than either Toyota or Honda, except they do not have a single brand name on the grill ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

But... what about the Highlander? Or the Sienna, if it counts as large?

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

"Cathy F."...

, A n>>>>

I'd still probably go domestic. Neither of those seem particularly impressive for their class.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

Quantity over Quality........

If the Detroit 3 (can't call them the Big 3 anymore) could sell enough vehicles they may someday make a profit :)

LOL

Reply to
Jonas Grumby

Sometimes.

I've seen plenty of modified Hondas that, if you pressed the gas too hard, the suspension would shatter cause they heated the springs and shortened them rather than replaced them. This also sets the suspension screwy and throws handling and safety out the window. It's all for looks.

To build a suspension properly takes hundreds if nout a thousand dollars or more. Most of what you're seeing are poseurs. That pic of the Jimmy you posted a link to actually looked like it was done correctly (and why I said I liked it) rather than cobbed up junk.

A suspension and an exhaust don't make a Hot Rod. First steps, maybe.

Reply to
Hachiroku

My point is that young people have been disfiguring cars for as long as cars have existed. You can watch movies from the 50s and see some really stupid-looking modifications.

Kids will always try to individualize cars, in order to stand out.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

Adults will often try to individualize cars, houses, bicycles,their bodies, whatever they have, in order to stand out, too.

However, not all kids try to individualize cars, though. Many don't have cars. And many who do, have other things to do.

Jeff

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Not to the ridiculous extent kids do, though. Not usually, anyway.

Of course I'm talking only about kids who can afford to customize their car. My son can't afford to do anything with his '96 Mitsubishi Gallant, but he would if he could.

:-P

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll