Another sign of GM's desperation

After my ten years is the fleet service business that serviced thousands of vehicles every month of just about every brand, I can tell you our years of record show there is no significant difference from one brand to another. Every manufacturer is making great vehicles today. The only real difference is style and price. After a dozen Toyotas and Lexus, I personally no longer buy imports because they simply cost too much more than the domestics I now buy. I do not own a GM vehicle.

Toyota should be worried more about the Koreans than the US manufactures. They are the ones that compete with Toyota in more of the worlds growing markets. They are building great cars that sell for thousand less in those markets

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Not so, they are not MUCH greater but rather closely bunched together. If you look at all of the surveys of owners problems, not as the 'list' that they are presented, but as the percentages they actually represent, you will discover they ALL have a failure rate of around 2%. 2% is the average failure rate for all industries, that is why ALL products offer a warranty. The question one should ask is, do I really want to spend 20% to 30% more to buy a particular brand in the hope I will NOT get one of THEIR 2% that are problematic?

Any brand one buys new today will easily run well over 100K or more before needing a major repair. One should therefore compare shop rates, part prices and the availability of parts, if they plan to keep a vehicle longer than the US average new cars buyers regimen of three to four years, or 60 to

80K on the clock before they buy another new car, since all manufactures today warrant their cars drive train for longer than the average trade time/mileage that buyers keep their cars

Since I switched for Lexus to domestics in 1999, I have saved thousands when buying another new car and hundreds annually on the prices I pay to have them serviced at the dealerships

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That assumes they develop the marketing strategy of having competitor products in a vacuum. If they don't have it yet, they will have an ad campaign that challenges Toyota and Honda buyers to stop by and look at the Aura, or whatever it is.

They don't need to attract all of the Toyota and Honda buyers out there, they only need a few of them. All they want if for some guy to say, "Gee honey, the new Saturn looks kinda nice, let's go look at one." When they get to the lot, "Look honey, they even have the other cars we were considering. We can drive two or three cars right here! Isn't THAT cool?"

Maybe they settle on the Accord instead of the Aura, but that is the chance that Saturn is taking.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Really? It would be quite a trick for GM to be ahead of Toyota by "several million vehicles, year to date" since GM has only sold

1,220,781 vehicles in the US as of April 30. Toyota sold 816,312 vehicles in the US during the same time frame.

So GM might outsell Toyota by about 1.2 million vehicles in the US this year. But if you look at the trend over the last four years, Toyota could surpass GM in US sales in 2009 or 2010.

Here are my references:

Where are yours?

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Don't worry, Mikey has never been one to let facts get in the way of his desired conclusion.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Jackpot, your last paragraph needs no further explanation.

Reply to
simon

Oh my...

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

IMO, it is a gutsy move and, it may just work. Just that fact they have the balls to do such a thing will get some attention and it may be what gets people into the showroom.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Guess what Mike, the whole world matters to a business, not just the USofA.

Reply to
John Horner

Duh! Year to date is the end of April '06 to April '07 dummy. GM sell more trucks alone in the US than Toyota sells cars and trucks ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The is true but largest market in the world in the US market, Europe is second. GM outsells Toyota in the US by huge numbers and Toyota is not even a close third in Europe, where they do not have the state and local government subsidies, or the huge federal tax advantage, they have here in the US.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Mike, I'm in Australia and in my humble opinion Korean-made cars are crap, particularly the Daewoo models that are going under the GM badge. Unless you're getting a different build Korean car in the US then I suspect you may be smoking something.

Reply to
simon

"simon" ...

He's actually a resident Toyota NG troll who lives in his own little fantasy land. He does not help the cause of promoting domestic cars. He's the worst enemy in that regard, because he never has facts to back up his bullshit.

Hell, he doesn't even bother to chime in when we *do* praise certain domestic vehicles. He only shows up to try to discredit any praise we have of Toyotas, or amplify any problems we may have (and yes, Toyotas have problems that we're not blind to).

If you want a more reasonable discussion regarding domestic vs. foreign vehicles, I suggest other posters. This one will never admit he's wrong about anything. Ever.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

Thanks Natalie, don't we love those fantasy land types (GWB is another one)

Reply to
simon

Duh! year to date is from Jan 1 to current date . April '06 to April '07 is called 12 month period DUH!!. Be careful when you call someone dummy.

Reply to
Double Tap

If the Michigan 3 were to open new plants, they would get state and local government subsidies, too.

Actually, if they don't pay taxes in the US, Toyota and Honda have to pay a higher federal tax rate in Japan. The Toyota and Honda subsidies are US companies (even though they are fully own by a foreign company) and have to pay US, state and local taxes, just like any other US company.

If I am incorrect, please prove it, just like you proved that the first digit of the VIN has to do with US content.

Yeap, the US tax rate is lower than the Japanese tax rate.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

What planet are you on?

According to Investment works,

Year to date means "For the period starting January 1 of the current year and ending today." April 07 to April 07 is thirteen months.

You're wrong on two counts. Who's the dummy here?

Before calling someone a dummy, look in the mirror.

Wrong, again, as usual.

GM sold about 1.2 million vehicles in the US this year (to end of April). Toyota sold about 0.8 million. Almost 1/2 of GM's sales are trucks in the US, so Toyota sold about 0.7 million trucks, at most, in the US. 0.8 is not less than 0.7.

Before calling someone a dummy, look in the mirror.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Actually, he got that wrong, too. April 06 to March 07 is a 12-month period. April 06 to April 07 is a 13-month period.

I think he must has a reflection on his screen that he is looking at when he calls other dummy.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to
Double Tap

I liked this apropos typo: short being short one letter. ;-)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.