Another year of losing market share - where to now?

2004 was supposed to be a good year, with record # of new vehicle introductions, GM brass was reported to be wearing pins saying '29' on their shirts for the amount of market share they would be up to by the
end of 2004.
Yet now its clear that once again GM lost market share, even with the biggest incentives on the planet. Another percentage point of market share was again lost to the big Japanese companies.
By next year, GM will no longer even be the biggest automobile company in the world, Toyota will be. When asked about this, the CEO of GM had only this to say, "It wouldn't surprise me". Great fighting words, already conceding that Toyota will overtake you within a year to be the worlds largest auto company.
I guess people do care more about quality. Listen up UAW memebers, you've killed yourselves and your next generations jobs by being so lazy and pathetic with your demands.
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

on
the
company
had
the
I drive by the local Chevy dealer every day. They had those SSR's lined up along the side road. The exact same ones are there today as were there at the beginning of the year. I don't see the market for them. There's no functionality and low gas mileage. But I understand that's a nitch market and not the GM core as they say. When my friend wanted a Blazer almost no dealer around had 4dr models. They just were not producing enough I guess. GM kept blasting out those 2drs and putting on incentives. And now my friend wants to buy a new Chevy and the salesman won't even return a call. Maybe he's too busy cleaning the snow off the SSR's.

Sad but true. Many US made vehicles have problems that are designed in, but there are also many quality issues that are due to poor assembly too. The fit of the doors on my 2000 Astro van is marginal. I can't even adjust them as the damn hinges are welded on. All built by some guy making about $30 an hour. Then you have the poor guys in dealerships trying to fix these things the factory puts out and they make about half that. I have worked in dealer body shops for Ford and Chevy, and known mechanics working on the other side of the shop, and it is just sad to see some of the crap the factories send out for sale. There are guys working in them that should quit.
"Scott" <homealone.com> wrote in message

adjust
And that's the assembler's fault?? Seems like another design issue, to me.

guys
make
the
It's true that there are always a few that need to be weeded out, but the vast majority do a great job with the parts they are given and the time limits imposed on them. The UAW gets a lot of blame that belongs elsewhere. H
On 9 Jan 2005 02:43:44 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

You're right. Management, engineers, and designers had nothing to do with it. It's all the fault of the folks on the line.