any drawbacks to using Mobil 1 in 1999 3.1L V-6?

...besides price, that is. I have a 1999 Chevy Malibu with the 3.1L V-6. It has about 37,000 miles. I have NOT had the leaking gasket problem (yet) on this engine. I was thinking of switching to full synthetic motor oil (Mobil One)- to protect from the abuse of the short trips I take. Are there drawbacks to using Mobil 1 in this car? Would the cleaners in the synthetic eat away any seals/gaskets faster than cleaners in conventional motor oil?

Reply to
Joe Blow

Not at all, Mobile 1 is used as an OEM oil in the Corvette. I've used it in many cars and trucks for over 10 years and will always use it.

Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

none other than price. fwiw, I use regular oil in my regular cars and change it often. For my performance cars I use synthetic and change it often. My Jimmy doesn't rank synthetic because it's "just" a 2.8 that really "just runs" whereas my Trans Am gets synthetic because it's a "collector" car, and the nitrous at the drag strip is a bit hard on the engine...

Ray

Reply to
Ray

Not at all. Just use the factory oil wights, which is 5W30. You can go with the extended change intervals mobil recomends. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Shouldn't be a problem...I used Mobil-1 in a 2003 Malibu 3.1 V6...no problem. Same reason...frequent short trips under 5 miles, especially in the winter time.

Reply to
James C. Reeves