any drawbacks to using Mobil 1 in 1999 3.1L V-6?

...besides price, that is. I have a 1999 Chevy Malibu with the 3.1L V-6. It has about 37,000 miles. I have NOT had the leaking gasket problem (yet) on this engine. I was
thinking of switching to full synthetic motor oil (Mobil One)- to protect from the abuse of the short trips I take.     Are there drawbacks to using Mobil 1 in this car? Would the cleaners in the synthetic eat away any seals/gaskets faster than cleaners in conventional motor oil?

Not at all, Mobile 1 is used as an OEM oil in the Corvette. I've used it in many cars and trucks for over 10 years and will always use it.
Brian
Joe Blow wrote:

none other than price. fwiw, I use regular oil in my regular cars and change it often. For my performance cars I use synthetic and change it often. My Jimmy doesn't rank synthetic because it's "just" a 2.8 that really "just runs" whereas my Trans Am gets synthetic because it's a "collector" car, and the nitrous at the drag strip is a bit hard on the engine...
Ray

Not at all. Just use the factory oil wights, which is 5W30. You can go with the extended change intervals mobil recomends. Charles
| ...besides price, that is. | I have a 1999 Chevy Malibu with the 3.1L V-6. It has about 37,000 miles. | I have NOT had the leaking gasket problem (yet) on this engine. I was | thinking of switching to full synthetic motor oil (Mobil One)- to protect | from the abuse of the short trips I take. | Are there drawbacks to using Mobil 1 in this car? Would the | cleaners in the synthetic eat away any seals/gaskets faster than cleaners | in conventional motor oil?
Shouldn't be a problem...I used Mobil-1 in a 2003 Malibu 3.1 V6...no problem. Same reason...frequent short trips under 5 miles, especially in the winter time.