[article] Clunkers and the Trailer Trash

Page 2 of 2
wrote in message

I have a 2001 Pontiac Bonneville (the brother-car of your LaSabre), with around 270,000 KMs (almost 170,000 miles), and every option works as it should. I can't speak for the previous owner, but I assume if the repairs on the heated seats and windows were as much as you say, they wouldn't be working. I'm not saying you didn't have those problems, but did you ever stop to think they were specific to your car? Do they have "lemon laws" in your State? I've heard people have good luck getting a vehicle traded in on a new one using those laws.

What does it matter? They are American built, and that is my point. I am answering your question, you just don't like the answer, so you choose not to see it.

Have you checked that? Sonata's are built in two plants, one in Alabama, the other in Korea. If it was built in Alabama, it was built in a plant where the workers are paid less, and receive less benefits then workers in a Domestic (GM, FORD) plant.

I totally agree that there is much more to fair trade then automobiles. The fact is though, the Japanese support there industry, both by only buying Japanese products, and also by Government cash. Yet, over in North America, people seem to have no problem buying Japanese products (even if they are built in Japan), and scream murder when the Government lends out money to American companies. There actually is something we can learn from the Japanese.

Yes, they may be specific to my car, but it was enough to make me look elsewhere. I've owned many GM cars over the years and every one has some problem from minor to major. It does not qualify under lemon laws. The seat needs the $10 toaster element replaced, but no, they have to replace the entire seat bottom, thus the high price. Poor design if that is the case. Like throwing out a lamp because the bulb burned out.

OK for every Toyota imported, we ship them an American car, even if made in Mexico.

It was built in Alabama, by US workers that take their paycheck to American banks so they can buy groceries from an often foreign owned grocery chain.

Perhaps. We won't know for a couple of years. GM pushed me over the edge with a crap car. It is much harder to get a new customer than to retain the old. They have not learned that lesson yet. I was actually looking at Lucernes and knew what model, color, options, etc. Then on evening I had to drive home in the rain with a window that kept falling down due to a broken regulator.
wrote in message

Why not just order the element, and replace it yourself? You did say the car was out of warranty.

Agreed.
I wasn't accusing you of lying, I was only asking if you checked the VIN on the car to verify it was built in America, and not Korea.

I disagree. Toyota was known (as most imports were) for building rusting garbage when they first came to America, yet they managed to get, and keep customers. Say what you want about Toyota quality, you have to admit there PR machine runs overtime. If GM recalls 100 vehicles for a defective seatback, it's front page news. If Toyota recalls 200,000 vehicles because the front tires are flying off down the road, it gets quietly buried, and usually only the owners find out about it. Why is that? Keep in mind that in 2006, Toyota recalled more vehicles then they actually sold, yet very few people know this.

Well, I honestly hope you have good luck with your Hyundai then. And I mean absolutely no sarcasm with that either.
wrote in message

We ship them wood, beef, barley, coal, ore, oil and other things they need. Much of what is used to build the cars.
The whole idea of trade is to trade for something you don't have. Otherwise trading is mute. Something a GM union brain is too small to understand.
Why would I trade a Japanese Toyota in Japan for a foreign GM is stupid. Toyota has a great reputation where as GM should have sent the vehicle to Miller Brewing for cans.
You are touting typical 2 pack econominics.
wrote in message

wrote in message

I got a kick out of Canadian built cars when I was living in the USA. We could get $5000 to $8000 less after exchange by buying Canadian made in the US. While the GM Regal was a mistake, it was a fraction of the cost in the US. Bombardier, Honda and others pull this BS too.
That is another reason why this Canuck is done buying Canadian, out own people scew us. And yes, I have imported two vehicles to date and plan on my next one to be a sale in the US.
their national automobile pro- ducers from seeming destruction.3

And you should spend your next vacation in the UK, and shop for a car including VAT. Prices are 30 to 70% more over there because of it. So a much smaller percentage of the population can afford one. And I mean noticably smaller. Far fewer cars per capita.
Which is why British Rail and public transit is so well developed, millions of their middle class can't afford one and are occasional renters when they need them. That doesn't work in 95% of North America.
On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:55:59 -0600, Canuck57 wrote:

Although I originally came from Britain, I know very little about this. That's why I have emailed your comments to an old friend in Britain, to see what he has to say. Will let you know.

So have you heard from him?
If not, you can see what British protectionism does right from the government at:
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/hs97/in3.pdf
UK in 1996 only had 360 autos per 1000, while the USA had 484 and Canada had 457.
Clearly, be it the higher cost of protectionism (right hand drive/laws/legal BS) or other, UK has less cars per people and thus out of reach for more.
It is also why GM and other auto suppliers need to get cost competitive more so, as the lower net average incomes across North America guarantees less auto sales are permanent unless they can get costs down.