Asian carmakers push ahead in annual market share

Asian carmakers push ahead in annual market share http://tinyurl.com/yzwft7k
Toyota Motor Corp.s U.S. sales surged 32 percent in December and Hyundai Motor Co.s soared 41 percent to push Asian automakers ahead of
U.S. competitors in annual market share for the first time, Bloomberg News Service reported.
Japanese and South Korean companies raised sales last month 26 percent from a year earlier. Honda Motor Co. posted a 24 percent increase.
Hyundai, South Koreas largest automaker, posted an annual increase of 8.3 percent, as the industry total slid 21 percent to 10.4 million, according to Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey-based Autodata. Hyundai, based in Seoul, is seventh in the U.S. by sales volume.
Toyota said December sales rose to 187,860 Toyota, Lexus and Scion models from 141,949 a year earlier, led by Corolla small cars, Camry sedans and Prius hybrids.
Don Esmond, the Toyota City, Japan-based automakers U.S. senior vice president, said the company probably led the market in annual retail sales for the first time, with more than 1.6 million vehicles. That excludes deliveries to fleet buyers such as rental-car companies.
Honda, Japans second-largest automaker, reported selling 107,143 vehicles last month, rising from 86,085. The company for the first time moved ahead of Chrysler in annual U.S. sales, taking over the No. 4 ranking.
Hondas December gains came from increases for Accord sedans, Civic small cars and CR-V and Pilot sport-utility vehicles, said Chris Martin, a company spokesman.
--
Civis Romanus Sum

Jim Higgins wrote:

Hyundai is pushing cars and offering some great deal. I know a few people that bought in December (myself included) because it was a deal you could not refuse.
Buick is advertising the sleek looking new Lacrosse on TV ads and yes, it is a good looking car. So, what did they offer me? A $1000 owners loyalty discount on the leftover '09 models. I'd not buy a leftover '09 anything unless it had a HUGE markdown.

Hyundai has an increasing reputation for quality and technology in the products they make. The appearance is improving drastically. Not a bad choice for someone who wants a lot for a buck.
We looked at the new Buicks when they came out. Too expensive, IMO, for what you get, and there WERE teething pains with them. First time this family didnt have at least one Buick in almost 20 years. The last one, with the decomposing plenum, burned our toast.
hls wrote:

It has every feature the Buick has and it is fast with 249 hp. Heated leather seats, stability control, niceties like electrochromatic mirror, 17" wheels, great radio, and on and on. Built in the USA by American workers too. More US parts than in the past, now 43%. That gets more Americans working.

Speaking of Buicks, my wife's was used today. You may recall that the heat was hot on one side, cold on the other. Suddenly, both sides finally have hot air blowing out of them. So, there must be a trade-off some place. Yes, there is. The steering wheel controls are suddenly funky. Want to turn the volume up on the radio? Just hit the temperature button.
You are so full of it your eyes must be brown. LOL

Who knows, Hyndai might overtake GM in sales this year in Canada. Had a ride in one two months ago, was impressed.
On 07/01/2010 9:49 AM, Mike Hunter wrote:

Of course you were, you Toyota is worn out.

Mike Hunter wrote:

They are. I'm going for a colonostomy on Monday so maybe I'll get a reset to another color.
---
Scott wrote:

Sour grapes fella, Detroit continues to lose market share and will continue to do do so. Perhaps the likes of you approve of the looting, raping and pillaging of the American taxpayer but I do not.
Chrysler will be totally extinct within two years, GM within 5. GM stupidity will prevail against common sense and good engineering. Ford has a chance IF they do not lose focus. That makes it the Detroit 1.
--
Civis Romanus Sum

Ford's slaes were up 33 percent in December........and they increased market share as well. I don't think they are an Asian carmaker - at least not yet.
Ed

Nissan is DOWN not up and although Hyundai's market share is up, Hyundai's total annual sales were still less than 780,000 while Ford sold around a million F150's and still the worlds best selling vehicle for 33 years in a row. ;)

On 07/01/2010 6:05 AM, C. E. White wrote:

Who knows, maybe China will buy Ford out?