Astro starter woes

Good day; I am driving a 2000 astro van and suddenly the starter wants to be engaged at all times. When the key is turned to the on position. (1st
position not start) The starter engages and of course does not disengage. There does not appear to be any excess wiring under the dash that would suggest an automatic starter was installed by the previous owner. Has anyone run into this before? I have no idea where to start looking>>> Any hints........Please...........Leo
I wonder if your ignition switch has something wrong with it?

Seems to be fine; still has two seperate positions. Only if it is simply left in the on position the starter engages. Senser of some kind????
(snip)
I'm unaware of any sensors that are in the starting circuit. Perhaps others here know of something.
My thinking is that the start contact inside the ignition switch is closing prematurely when the key is in the run position because of a mechanical defect. The defect, if it exists, might be in the electrical assembly and would not be detectable by the feel the switch gives you when it is operated physically. Just a guess.
wrote in

Silver Surfer wrote:

Yeah, I agree. Switch is shot or out of position. I wonder if it's one of those GM burning switches?
(snip) I wonder if it's one of those GM burning switches? What is a burning switch??? I had it towed this morning so hopefully it will get repaired. Too cold and snowing to be farting with it in the yard. Thanks for the responses. Leo
Justchecking wrote:

Some GM ignition switches can't handle the current draw and burn up, sometimes catching fire. I don't remember all the models and years that have been recalled for that. Check to see if your's has that recall.
Good day; The switch was replaced to no avail.My mechanics are grasping at straws... has anyone ever heard of a similar problem without it being the stitch?
Justchecking wrote:

Some GM ignition switches can't handle the current draw and burn up, sometimes catching fire. I don't remember all the models and years that have been recalled for that. Check to see if your's has that recall.
Now I feel bad for helping lead you down a dark trail. Sorry that the new switch didn't solve your problem. It must have been a costly route to go and not get results. I would have bet a considerable sum that the switch was bad. Don't have any sound advice to give you now.

the voltage to the start post on the starter, that pulling the switch.
Maybe even pull the starter and check it as that is an easy job. However, since it does not run with the switch off, I can't offhand think of any way it could be the problem.
Good day; Well it seems the problem did have a remedy although not were one would expect to find it. On the tyranny is a safety relay switch, upon removal and close inspection the gasket appeared slightly damaged. So the switch was replaced. I took a drill to the rivets and pulled it apart. There was a considerable amount of moisture internally. There is a wire that runs from the ignition switch to it and from there back to the relay.At the relay this wire would have intermittent voltage sometimes enough to trigger the starter but mostly just a trickle. Been running for a few hours now and seems to be fixed or at least we cannot recreate the original problem. Thanks to everyone who tried to help. It just looked like it HAD to be the switch...One for the books I guess but hard on the pocketbook.
(snip)
OK, here's another GUESS. My wife's 2002 Intrigue has a starter relay. Power to the relay is present in ON and START through part of the ignition switch. Another separate START contact sends a signal to a module that is supposed to control the starter relay. Maybe your vehicle also has a starter relay. If so its main contact to the starter's solenoid could be welded closed or else one the module might be screwed up (powertrain control module).
There is no warranty expressed or implied in regard to the legitimacy of this advice. User beware.