Astro starter woes

Good day; I am driving a 2000 astro van and suddenly the starter wants to be engaged at all times. When the key is turned to the on position. (1st position not start) The starter engages and of course does not disengage. There does not appear to be any excess wiring under the dash that would suggest an automatic starter was installed by the previous owner. Has anyone run into this before? I have no idea where to start looking>>> Any hints........Please...........Leo

Reply to
Justchecking

I wonder if your ignition switch has something wrong with it?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Seems to be fine; still has two seperate positions. Only if it is simply left in the on position the starter engages. Senser of some kind???? "Silver Surfer" wrote in (snip)

Reply to
Justchecking

I'm unaware of any sensors that are in the starting circuit. Perhaps others here know of something.

My thinking is that the start contact inside the ignition switch is closing prematurely when the key is in the run position because of a mechanical defect. The defect, if it exists, might be in the electrical assembly and would not be detectable by the feel the switch gives you when it is operated physically. Just a guess.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Yeah, I agree. Switch is shot or out of position. I wonder if it's one of those GM burning switches?

Reply to
« Paul »

(snip) I wonder if it's one of those GM burning switches? What is a burning switch??? I had it towed this morning so hopefully it will get repaired. Too cold and snowing to be farting with it in the yard. Thanks for the responses. Leo

Reply to
Justchecking

Some GM ignition switches can't handle the current draw and burn up, sometimes catching fire. I don't remember all the models and years that have been recalled for that. Check to see if your's has that recall.

Reply to
« Paul »

Some GM ignition switches can't handle the current draw and burn up, sometimes catching fire. I don't remember all the models and years that have been recalled for that. Check to see if your's has that recall.

Reply to
Justchecking

Now I feel bad for helping lead you down a dark trail. Sorry that the new switch didn't solve your problem. It must have been a costly route to go and not get results. I would have bet a considerable sum that the switch was bad. Don't have any sound advice to give you now.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

I am late looking at this thread. It would have been a lot easier to check the voltage to the start post on the starter, that pulling the switch.

Maybe even pull the starter and check it as that is an easy job. However, since it does not run with the switch off, I can't offhand think of any way it could be the problem.

Reply to
ABC

OK, here's another GUESS. My wife's 2002 Intrigue has a starter relay. Power to the relay is present in ON and START through part of the ignition switch. Another separate START contact sends a signal to a module that is supposed to control the starter relay. Maybe your vehicle also has a starter relay. If so its main contact to the starter's solenoid could be welded closed or else one the module might be screwed up (powertrain control module).

There is no warranty expressed or implied in regard to the legitimacy of this advice. User beware.

Reply to
Silver Surfer