Attn: Ian-Help with Steering 01 Impala

Hi Ian. I had my intermediate steering shaft lubed for the second time in 4 years with only 27K miles on the car. The service advisor mentions that the steering rack has another year until
it leaks for good. Is this normal for the W-body cars? Also, my brother owns a 00 Intrigue (with 40K miles) and another dealership told him that his steering rack needs to be replaced. How much am I looking at to have this replaced? $1000 CDN or more? Thanks for any help you can offer.