Aura HVAC fan replacement

Hello everyone. I've got an '07 Saturn Aura XR. Recently the HVAC fan has stopped working reliably. I've decided to try and replace it myself as opposed to spending $$$ at the shop. I've removed the passenger side "cover" so that I've got a clear view of the HVAC fan motor housing. I can clearly see where the wiring harness comes into the motor. It looks like there should be screws or clips holding the blower motor assembly in position. However, I can't see how it is attached. It's frustrating me because it looks like it should be pretty simple and I'm convinced that I'm missing something fairly obvious.

I tried finding a repair manual that outlines the procedure and possibly has pictures but I can't seem to find either a Haynes or Chilton manual that deals specifically with the Aura.

Can anyone provide any advice on how to go about changing out this motor? Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Shawn

That one took about 30 seconds.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Thanks. In referance to step 3 "Cut out the blower motor using a utility knife in the narrow groove of the lower case." What and where am I cutting?? I'm not taking a utility knife to any part of my car unless I'm absolutely sure of exactly what it is I'm cutting. Also, in the reassembly steps, #3 "Install the blower motor seal to the blower motor service ring." What is the blower motor seal and what is meant by the motor service ring? In step 5 "Install the blower motor attachment ring." What's the motor attachment ring? I didn't remove it during disassembly so why do I have to deal with it when reassembling?

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Reply to
Shawn

The OLD motor gets cut out of the housing. The area you are cutting is between the two ribs around the motor. There are molded in marks showing where to cut but if you look at the first picture on the page the arrows point at the two ribs. You cut between them.

The blower motor seal and service ring are both included with the new motor. The first seals the new motor to the old housing (not needed on the original because it is glued in from the factory so it is already sealed) The second piece attaches the new motor to the old housing.

The motor attachment ring is a piece of light metal that has holes around it that match the holes molded into the housing and the service ring. It allows you to bolt the two together and into the vehicle.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks for the advice!

A friend of mine suggested to me that it may not in fact be the motor itself but that it might not be receiving proper power. He told me to test the DC voltage of the motor feed wire and verify that there was current running though it. I did as he suggested and found that there was proper current supplied to the motor. My friend said that if there was current to the motor that there's always a possibility that the motor is seized and therefore unable to rotate freely. He said that maybe a bit of lubricant might be all that is needed to resolve my problem.

My question now is - Lets say I cut the motor out of the housing so that it is free and "in my hand." If I manage to get lube on the correct parts and everything comes to life and rotates as it should, how do I get it back together? If I had to cut it apart with a utility knife in order to get it apart I can't "uncut" it to reassemble. Can I buy the motor attachment ring as a separate part? Are there any other ways to reassemble without a motor attachment ring? Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!!!

Reply to
Shawn

I doubt that lube is the problem.

Well you could probably rig up a simple ring of metal and use it to secure the old motor in place.

The ring is not a separate part, comes in the motor kit.

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
Shawn