Auto Headlight help

Hello. My 2003 Buick Le Sabre just lost the low beam headlights. I was in the driveway with the engine running and the lights on(auto). I turned them off with the twi-light switch, and now I have no lowbeams. High beams work fine, but I don't have any lows; auto or not. New light switch? Help. Thanks.

Reply to
jeff wald

Based on a look at the schematic for your headlights the most likely cause of your woes is the dimmer switch. The low beam relay is also a suspect. Less likely would be the 15 amp fuse for each low beam. The dash integration module is the least likely culprit in my opinion.

........................................................................................................................................ Headlamps The headlamps may be turned on in three different ways.

When the headlamp switch is placed in the ON position, for normal operation. With the twilight delay switch placed in the ON position, for automatic lamp control (ALC). With the twilight delay switch placed in the ON position, with the windshield wipers ON in daylight conditions, after a 6 second delay.

During ALC control the headlamps will be in day time running lamp (DRL) operation in daylight conditions or low beam operation in low light conditions. The dash integration module (DIM) provides battery positive voltage to the signal circuits of the headlamp switch. The signal circuits include the headlamp switch headlamps on signal, the flash to pass switch signal and the high beam input. With the headlamp switch in the ON position, a ground path is available for the headlamp switch headlamps on signal circuit of the DIM through the headlamp switch. The DIM provides ground to either the headlamps high beam relay control circuit or the headlamps low beam relay control circuit of the low beam circuit. The position of the headlamp dimmer switch determines which relay control circuit has ground. The DIM supplies battery positive voltage to the relay control circuits, if the headlamps are necessary. The fuse block - underhood supplies battery positive voltage to both relay switch circuits. When the low beam relay control circuit is energized, current flow is to both low beam fuses and to the low beam headlamps. The headlamps have ground at G103 and at G401. When the headlamp high beam relay control circuit is energized, current flow is to both high beam fuses and to the high beam headlamps. The high beam circuit is divided into a left and right side circuit. The current flow of the left high beam is from the fuse to the left high beam lamp. From the lamp, the current flows to the normally-closed contact of the DRL relay to G103. The current flow of the right high beam is from the fuse to the right high beam lamp. From the lamp, the current flow is to ground at G401. When the headlamp dimmer switch lever is pulled toward the driver, the flash-to-pass switch closes. This grounds the DIM flash to pass switch signal circuit. In response to this input, the DIM energizes the HDLP HI BM relay. Both high beams remain on until the driver releases the switch handle. If the low beam headlamps were on during a flash to pass operation, the low beams remain on. The headlights may be switched to high beam with the opposite movement of the headlamp dimmer switch lever.

"jeff wald" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@enews1.newsguy.com...

Reply to
Silver Surfer
2 blown lowbeams. Now the question seems to be, what takes out both bulbs at the same time?
Reply to
jeff wald

Very unusual to have both go at the same time. Check voltage output from the alternator. Should be 14.7 IIRC.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Imagine that. Bad light bulbs. Reminds me of the time my wife told me that the table lamp needed a new socket. I dutifully went to town and bought a new socket. Replaced old socket with new. Turned on lamp. Still no light. Bad bulb all along.

Two headlamps failing at the same time! Mighty odd. Have you checked the output voltage from your alternator to make sure it isn't too high? Any other bulb failures?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

However unlikely, it is still possible that one went out earlier w/o notice; and when 2nd one went, it'd be quite noticeable--esp. if one drives very little at night. Hope that's the situation, in which case we'll understand if you don't update us on such a determination. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

An unnoticed dead bulb was earlier suggested to me as the cause. I drive to work every morning in the dark. The bulbs were fine prior to the point that they weren't. Thanks.

Reply to
jeff wald