Automotive Electronic Circuit Repair

OK, I have a question for the authentic restoration folks out there. Is there a market for restoration of vintage (or maybe not so vintage) automotive electronic repair? I know that if authentic parts are used obviously it would increase the value of the restoration. I have seen instrument panels being thrown away due to a burned component on the board, or the board is broken. I know that GM used a flex printed circuit card to run the instrument panel in 1978-1988 Olds Cutlasses, and when the lights burn out, it is because a conductor has burned.

I have the ability to repair these items and am looking for feedback to see if there is a reasonable (not looking to get rich off of this) market out there. There has to be a small handfull of folks that just can't find a used electronic component for that 1962 whatever they drive.

Let me know what you think...

BTW...repair of the GM wiper motor cards is also within my scope of ability. If only I could get my hands on a bad one.....

Thanks in advance

Eightupman

Reply to
Eightupman

Yes.

The market is bigger than you think. There are many people that already do this. Check Hemmings Motor News for some.

But, even more than instrument panels is the demand for repair of vintage radios. Lots of people out there repair 1950's tube-type radios, but not many repair the transistorized 60's muscle car factory radios.

If you want your first challenge - figure out what the correct thermistor was used for the Low Fuel Level indicator system used in my 1968 Ford Torino. The unit piggybacks on the standard gas guage sensor, and a separate wire goes to an electronics box in the front dash that runs the indicator light on the board. Apparently Ford used very cheap thermistors that get attacked by gasoline, and after a number of years, fall apart.

Don't ask me why they used a thermistor instead of a simple float and switch. The factory manual says thermistor, just doesen't specify the value or part number.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

We'll see what I can do. And possible locate a better replacement.

Reply to
Eightupman