Autos can be made safer and quicker.

Page 2 of 2
wrote:

I think a better choice than carbon fiber is Polyethylene terephthalate AKA pop bottle plastic. It can be injection moulded and produced at very low unit cost. If you've ever worked with Carbon fibre you'll know the time and cost issue negates that as a present option.
But for a safety issue, how about following Europe & having all buses and trucks (Including SUV's) comply with a standard bumper and headlight height front and back.
It's not only the weight issue that affects fuel economy. It's also the filthy fuel that's sold in North America. Look at how the clean diesels in Europe can hit 100 MPG (imperial) and mid 40's in decent sized vehicles Audi A8 Merc 300 BMW 5&7 series. The sulphur in our fuel prevents these from being imported.
We could also reduce a vehicles ride height at highway speeds and synchronize traffic lights. Those last two options you'd never notice, might even appreciate.
You wait from Carbon Fibre, I'll wait for better, cheaper options.
Heck. Just rent "Sleeper". The advanced safety device built into that "car of the future" would all but eliminate injury. It was so far ahead of itself that the world is still not ready for it.
Richard.
"Richard" <rfeirste at nycap.rr.com> wrote in message

I would be the oddball on this and it wouldn't sell cars, but I would drive a car with a roll bar and a 5 point harness. The roll cage could be blended into the body somewhat so it would not look like a NASCAR. Designs could be standardized and produced cheaply I think if not changed every year. I know it's not practical in the marketplace.
On 3 Dec 2004 04:23:43 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@mcpmail.com (Al Bundy) wrote:

Are you saying that if it's good enough for people to safely drive at 200+ MPH it should be good enough for the 55MPH interstates? BAH ! that's like saying that if the HANS or Hutchens system is proven to be effective NASCAR will mandate it.
Oh... They did? Hmm
Well, people would NEVER wear a 5 point safety belt systems (even with their proven effectiveness).
You mean people put many of their children in child seats with 5 point belts already?
Ok, You've got a couple really good points. But what would all the front airbags be used for if people were properly restrained?
Sure with a lower ride height, elimination of heavy bumpers, removal of all airbags with the exception of curtain airbags and the use and implementation of integral roll cages and 5 point seat belts cars would be cheaper, safer & faster. But is that really what "the public" wants?
I think "the public" wants: electric running boards, multi panel sunroofs, explosives in their dash & steering wheel, & wood paneling body trim. Would you really want to give up these sorts of "innovations" for better cars?
I thought not !

The roll bar is a killer for people who are not wearing protective head gear. Think before you hit the keys.
Richard.
On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 09:43:29 -0500, "Richard" <rfeirste at nycap.rr.com> wrote:>

See above"Integral roll cage // side curtain air bags" kinda negates your point for the average consumer. I believe that's what we're referring to here, Right?