Autronic Eye

Actually, they are. Current signs are more reflective than even some from the 70's.

In my town we have a few old stop signs that have been around for some time (at least early 80s). They're practically impossible to see at night compared to the other stop signs. Though, it could also be that the city gov't decided to skimp when they bought signs that year, and used no reflective coatings.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

Like I said, confusion as to HOW the system worked. The photo cell simply turns 'off and on' when subjected to a light source and it removal. The headlamps need to be turn 'on' and in the 'high' beam position. The automatic setting held the 'high' beam circuit 'on' What one was adjusting was the delay time in which it did so, sort of like delay wipers in principle.. I.E. one is driving and a vehicle approaches at 500 feet as the PC detects light it switches 'on' to switch the high beam circuit 'off'. Depending on where the setting is that can be instantaneous or a delay. If indeed it were set to the amount of light when a string of vehicle approached the lights would switch up an down with every passing vehicle rather than be held on low by the delay feature until they all passed by. If set to minimum the lights will switch to low at once, if on a delay they will switch in say two seconds or when the vehicle is now at say 300 feet. The problem was the delay worked in reverse at the same delay time. When the light source was gone the photo cell would switch back to 'off,' meaning the lights would not come back to high for the same time delay. Drives wanted the light to come on sooner would reset the the setting which only resulting in faster switching. Each detend setting resulted in a longer delay time between switching, not the sensitivity to light. That was what cause the confusion when owners attempt to adjust to the 'amount' of light at which it would switch. We would hear all the time, 'my high beam switching is not working right.' When we checked the delay time for each setting they would be spot on. Because of all the complaints the manufactures discontinued offering the feature, leaving only the feature that turns the headlamp on and off which also is merely time delayed to go off, as well.

mike hunt

"Roy G. Bragg" wrote:

Reply to
BenDover